Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing window tint?

Posted by reekola (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 21, 07 at 14:21

My daughter's 01 Civic has cheap window tinting film on the back window that is bubbling and starting to peel. Is there a good way to remove it without damaging the rear window defrost heat wires in the window? Or are they embedded in the window? If she has them redone by a professional, I assume they can get it off a lot better than me.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing window tint?

I am researching the same thing. After reviewing the process, I decided to have the whole thing done professionally. Plus nobody will guarantee the defroster lines won't be damaged.

o

Very simple if you have the time and don't get stresed out.
The film comes off the same way it went on. You need a spray bottle, empty windex bottle will do and fill it with
warm water and a few drops of dish soap. Peel back as much as you can and spray the film as you pull. Keep the film wet, if it dries it will restick. Don't even think about heating it with a heat gun or hair drier. you will weld the film to the glass. If you brake a defrost line no biggy
just get a repair kit and fix it. The install was bad in the first place because there was air trapped under the film and the defroster heated it up causing the bulges. Do
not reapply it. Good luck.

o

Thanks! Sounds like fun! I'll let you know how it turns out if I decide to mess with it. If having it re-tinted, might just have them do it. Not sure how much, if any, extra they would charge to remove.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here