SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
irishgirl88_gw

my 98 grand am stalls, please help

irishgirl88
17 years ago

Hi, I have a 1998 Grand Am with a quad 4 engine...I hope I spelled that right. Anyway, about a month or so ago the muffler got really loud. I went to Monroe and they quoted me a price of $600.00 to fix saying that the pipes on that car could not be welded, that they would just melt and that the new piece would include the cat. converter.

I left and went to another mechanic who welded it for 80 bucks! After a week a light came on my car saying that the antifreeze was low. I added some and after a few days the light went out.

Okay, so last week I'm driving along and I hit the gas as I'm making a turn and my car feels like it wants to stall but doesn't. It gradually got worse and I started to wonder if it was the cad. converter (have no idea how to spell catollitic???)

My main mechanic found nothing wrong with the car but said that the cat. converter was hot so it must be plugged and he sent me to the guy who welded my muffler to have it changed. They changed it but did not believe that that was the problem. That cost $110.00. It didn't help.

The other day the check engine light came on and I went to Auto Zone who told me it was the O2 sensor just before the convertor.

My mechanic changed that, changed the plugs and fixed my brakes and rotors for a grand total of $289.00 and my car is still wanting to stall or stalling. It stalls or tries to at lights, in drive-through's and now it stalls if I'm going along at a pretty good speed and stop.

I told my main mechanic it was still bad and he said that he would clean the throttle body for me that that could be it.

The mechanic who changed the converter hooked a machine up to my car drove it around with that thing hooked up to it. He said that all of the sensors are working and things are firing or whatever and he seems to think that the tune-up should have been taken further. He suggests that the boots and coils and that plastic thing that holds it all should be changed.

I'm running out of money.

What is your opinion?

Comments (4)

Sponsored