SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gary__

1987 dash light problem

gary__
12 years ago

I have an '87 vette that used to be my daily driver, but has pretty much been parked in the garage for the last 2 and a half years. Take it out a few times to run the previous years tank a gas through and put in fresh before winter.

It has the digital dash. One of the lights burned out a while back making the dash pretty dark. The headlight 'bright dim' switch didn't change it at all. The first time I took it out this year, the entire dash would go out, including the radio. Engine never missed a beat.

Traced the problem to a bad + connection at the battery. I went ahead and replaced the battery (it was old) and cleaned all the connections I could find. There's a bunch of them with fusable links convienently located under and behind the battery. That took care of the complete blackout condition. I replaced the bulbs that backlight the digital dash. It's all nice and bright again. The problem that remains is the non function of the bright dim knob. While I had the instrument panel apart, I cleaned the lens for the auto dim feature. The light switch still feels smooth. Besides, it worked fine last year before it was put away for the winter.

The car looks and runs great, including the dash. It's just not totally the way it's supposed to be. Doesn't bother me at all but I want to sell it if I can. The more of these little things I can take care of, the better to make a sale.

I already checked corvette forums and haven't found the fix yet. A few guys with a similar issue that replaced the light switch, and didn't solve the problem. They usually send the instrument cluster in for rebuild, but never heard if that solved anything.

Hoping there's a brainiac john g type still on this board with an idea.

Sorry to bore you with the long post.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012