Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why would anyone steel a gas cap?

Posted by johndeere (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 17, 06 at 13:42

I went to the late movie last night.Went to see "Cars" and when I came home and pulled the car in the garage.I noticed the gas door was open?I then found my gas cap gone.Along with the plastic strap that keeps it attached to the car.The thief yanked it right off the clip.Thats why I know I did not forget to replace the cap when I filled it with gas.Because the atached plastic string was gone.

I drove home 20 miles when I noticed it gone.Luckily it did not trigger the "service engine soon lite". I have heard that missing caps and if there not tight will cause the computer to trigger the code.

Oh well I replaced it with a GM original.Did not want to trust the seal of a after market model.I guess the guy or gal who swiped mine.Was a Idiot and a theif.Probably forgot to put his back on and no retainer strap to keep it with the car?Or maybe its a chain cap swipe?Someone lost theres. Stole one and then that person stole one and so on and so on?If so the chain is broke I bought mine $17.00 If I was a thief I would take gas not gas caps.Unless a Chevy Cavalier gas cap is a collectors item?I hope he had a different brand or model car.Because I learned there are several different caps for GM alone.But I bet he had a Cavalier and knew it would fit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why would anyone steel a gas cap?

If I was a thief I would take gas not gas caps.

Are you sure they didn't?

o

They may have been trying to steal gasoline, but the anti-rollover valve in the filler neck makes siphoning virtually impossible.

o

**If I was a thief I would take gas not gas caps.**

That's because you're not a moron. Thieves are. Probably was someone trying to steel gas and either left the cap laying on the ground where the car was parked or took it with them by accident.

My dad's grave has a built in vase. It's one of those deals that's flush with the ground. Take it out and turn it over and it's a vase. I think most if not all flat markers are made this way these days. Anyway, someone took the vase. WTF is that all about?!

o

Just make sure they didn't add anything to the tank. Happened to a buddy of mine years ago, tank also had sand added to it. Ever since that episode, every vehicle of mine has a locking gas cap from day one.

o

Locking gas caps are fine until you are on a trip and misplace or loose the key. Always carry a spare key.

A cable release gas cap door is better.

o

Somebody syphoned my gas a couple weeks ago .. didnt get much gas but the car does have a locking gas cap and they somehow got it off and put it back on in the unlocked position. I had a heck of a time getting it off because the key wouldnt go in with it in the unlocked position until I realized it unscrewed now with no key. Key won't come out with it in the unlocked position either. Had me wondering if I was dreaming the needle was stuck on 'E' = lower than Ever seen.

After some fiddling with it something click/snapped and fixed itself. Should go buy a new cap.

Car sits in a well lighted area with the gas cap next to a walk ,,between it and a house window - whomever sucked it out got bottom of the barrel stuff. Hopefully cleaned out some water and crud for me.

o

I checked it all out and luckily it appears no foreighn material like sand or sugar was added.I have driven about 60 miles since it happened.Thats about 2 gallon used and if they stole any gas they did not get much.I think they just needed a cap.To bad they did not have the attached strap on theres or maybe it was broke.Because that way you can not loose it.But they yanked mine loose so they still could loose there cap.If they would have paid for a replacement it comes with it and they would not loose it again.But I guess a thief just does not care he would gladly 5 finger discount another one if needed.

o

I agree with previous posters. They were probably attempting to steal gas.
The plan was probably thwarted by a passer byer.

May hear more and more of this as gas prices increase.

o

Maybe they needed a cap?

o

I remember back when I was a senior in high school.
I had a 1971 Ford pickup. Drove it to school often.
One day I came out and found the gas cap was gone.

A day or so later I was with a bunch of friends in a big parking lot.
A couple of them wandered off while some of us stood there and talked.
They came back a while later with about 10 similar caps for my truck.
They had went and found likely prospects and stolen the caps that mite fit my truck.
I refused to accept any of them and since they couldn't remember which cap came from which vehicle I told them to leave all the caps on the poarch of the grocery store where hopefully the owners could find them.
I went the next day and bought a new locking gas cap.

I figure somebody needed a gas cap and stole mine.
But I sure wasn't about to do the same.

Pooh Bear

o

I had a co worker say to me.Why would you buy a gas cap?He said I should have got a replacement the same way the new owner of my old one did.My response was.Because I am not a thief.

o

Maybe just some kids screwing around? That's what I think.

o

I had a co worker say to me.Why would you buy a gas cap?He said I should have got a replacement the same way the new owner of my old one did.

People amaze me sometimes ... Good for you, johndeere.

o

anyone want to buy a gas cap cheap? hahahahahaha

o

I could use a new cap .. What's it fit ?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here