SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Extended Waranty for our 2005 Car?

chisue
13 years ago

We keep our cars a long time and don't drive much. We've put 17,000 miles on our 2005 Jaguar X-Type VDP. It came with a 4-year manufacturer's waranty plus a 2-year 'Jaguar

Certified' limited waranty that expires mid-December. We bought from a Jaguar dealer it in June 2006 w/2700 miles on it.

We're considering buying a 2-year Jaguar limited waranty (same coverage it currently has) -- and possibly another 2-year after that. A 2-year taking it to Dec. 2012 is $2697.

We like the car, especially the all-wheel drive and interior finish quality. We don't see anything new we like as well. It's currently worth up to $16,000. Buying anything similar new would cost us at least $20,000 + the trade-in.

I'm concerned that something expensive like a computer management system could fail. I know we'll still be paying for oil changes and maintenance, and all those 'not covered' things like new tires, batteries, brakes, etc.

What's the advice you'd give me?

PS -- I can also buy coverage through EasyCare that's similar price for a 2-year, and that also offers a 4-year for $3779 (ave. $945/year). The Jag policy requires Jag parts and would go to 100,000 miles (not at all likely for us). The alternate policy doesn't specify Jag parts and you can add 12,000 miles per year.

Many thanks!

Sue in Chicagoland

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022