Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
original spark plugs?

Posted by sailor86 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 22, 08 at 12:47

My mother has a 2003 Ford Taurus which she claims has never been tuned up. Is this a common thing? Are today's vehicles designed to never corrode spark plugs or cables? Would that include my 2002 Mitsubishi Galant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: original spark plugs?

Yep. They last a long time. No points or condenser to change every year. No timing or carb to adjust. Spark plugs are more durable than they were 30 years ago and the ignition system cranks out a lot more volts. Check your maintenance schedule in your/her owners manual. Not unusual for things to go 100k miles between tune ups these days.

o

My wife has an April 2000 Daewoo Lanos with 57,000 miles on the clock. It went in for service last week. Needed a fresh set of plugs for the first time ever, a new wheel bearing (due to the unique properties of Irish roads) and usual service items (oil, filter, brake pads etc...)

When I compare this to some old shaggers I had years ago (the Vauxhall Viva immediately springs to mind) which needed the timing adjusting every 4,500 miles, the dwell angle and all those annoying, time consuming bits and pieces which wasted good drinking time which just don't need doing nowadays with electronic ignition and engine management systems. Some people spread the word that it can be cost effective to run a classic car instead of incurring the depreciation of a newer model. I say balls to that idea. I do 30,000 miles a year, most of which is on business. Firstly I need to present an image to the customer which is not portrayed if I turn up in a 1977 Austin Princess. Secondly I need a car which will take me without issue from Dublin to Amsterdam comfortably and reliably. And then if, and it is a very big if, there is a problem I need to know that the part needed to fix it is available here and now and I won't be stuck on the side of an autobahn in the middle of Germany waiting for a man with a beard to machine a new part from the remains of an old lawnmower, instead of making it home on time and watching Top Gear with my son whilst drinking quality tea.

o

ahey mate booger off i dun't have time for your bloody nonsense!! Just kidding i am from North Dakota USA of
course but i am 100% irish and i envy you so much over
there. I always wanted to take my mum over to see the
native country but haven't had the chance. the above statement was told to me by the folks from the old country many a time. as far as vehicle's with the price of petro we just as well ride a bike. good day!! Paul kellam

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here