Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
jack wheel

Posted by cavell (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 26, 12 at 12:41

is there any place that sells small ball bearings for various applications? my swivel wheel on floor jack has lost most of the balls from the bearing assembly. the jack works fine but the rear swivel wheel is a little sketchy. new swivel wheels are $35 approx. i could get 2 so they match. or buy a $20 toy jack at autostore and reuse rear swivel wheels and throw jack away. or put it in car trunk to use in emergency?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: jack wheel

There is one here for $5.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/material-handling/casters-swivel.html

Google swivel wheels, lotta hits.

o

I need a steel wheel. Max height of mounting pad is 2.5" or so. Sure, lots of cute little rubber wheels. No small steel wheels.

o

Try looking for replacement bearings in catalogs of suppliers dealing in bearings. Try contacting the manufacturer of the jack for replacement parts.

o

A selection of casters is shown in the link below. These are supplied by Grainger. One caveat however, Grainger is an industrial supplier and you will need a tax number to buy from them. This site was given as an example of what is availble. They supply wheels made in iron, ductile iron, and forged steel. A forged caster cost hundreds of dollars, ductile iron is less, with cast iron the lowest cost. To create the list in the link below, I filtered to show only casters with load ratings of 250 and 450 lbs.

I do not recommend you go buy a 'toy' product and use those wheels unless you know the rating. Wheel load rating is very important for this application. You do not want to be under a vehicle or have your hands in the works when a wheel collaspes. Never depend on a jack. Hydraulic jacks have been known to suddently drop their loads. Support the vehicle with jack stands or with other appropriate means.

The wheel/caster load rating must ne more than 1/4 the load rating of the jack because the wheels are not equally loaded, and the load changes on the wheels as the jack is extended. The load center shifts as the jack extends. Also,the loading can be shifted on uneven terrain. A conservative rating is for each wheel to be equal to the jack rating. A lesser amount might be 1/2 of this but is not recommended.

Again, your best bet is to contact the maker of the jack. They should have repair parts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grainger, Caster

o

I cut apart some old bearings. My jack wheel balls are .070 diameter. The donor balls are .093 or so? Old wheel had 3 balls. I need about 12 or so. The swivel fits together fairly well so balls are retained securely. The race area is pretty sloppy. Not exactly a semi- circular groove for balls. Mostly a flat raceway. The $20 mini-jacks have small swivel wheels. Probably 3/4 scale? I would assume for their liability issues, the wheels are good. Jack is rated for 2 tons.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here