Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'99 Ford Ranger makes sound similar to a freight train

Posted by kathy547 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 16, 07 at 11:08

I bought this truck used less than a year ago. It makes this sound that sounds like a train blowing by. It doesn't do it often, I've only noticed it when I'm doing about 30 - 40 but that may just be that I'm going slow enough to hear it. It sounds like it's coming from the rear part of the truck (like about where the bed starts). Does anyone know what this could be & if it's something to worry about? Also, the driver's side window (power windows) is sometimes slow going up & down. What to do about this? Any thoughts, ideas, or opinions are greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: '99 Ford Ranger makes sound similar to a freight train

Rear end carrier bearings are shot have it rebuilt or purchase a nice low mileage rear axle complete and swap it out . The window will need a new regulator motor so stop by your friendly neighborhood pull a part and git u one.

o

Dnt1, thanks! Also, to clear up - the sound is more like a blast sound from a train not the swoosh sound of one going by if that makes sense. And, I've noticed it does it when I'm low on gasoline. Could you explain in layman's terms basically what the rear end carrier bearings are?

o

Are you sure it isn'the fuel pump ?

o

I've heard a noise when I'm low on gas after I stop the car sometimes. If I open the gas cap, a bunch of pressurized air comes out and it stops. I thought it was the fuel pump also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here