Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grand prix parts

Posted by joe_mn (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 23, 09 at 10:15

bought a 98 grand prix gtp. our 4th GP in 5yrs. have 2 college kids. they like to change cars and i like to work on them. had coolant leak. pretty sure it is plastic coolant elbows on intake. took off alternator bracket and see that a 98 has 1 plastic elbow, not 2. waterpump pulley/bearing seemed noisy. car had growl at idle. not sure if it was supercharger coupler since they make noise too. stupid fresh air intake is annoying but thats the way the car came. decided to replace pump while i had coolant drained. i sure hope the lower intake manifold gaskets are ok. i will monitor coolant level for awhile and see. there really is no easy way to check the LIM gaskets is there without taking off intake?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grand prix parts

While you are monitoring the coolant level, also monitor the oil level and appearance. If the oil level rises while the coolant level lowers, and if the oil color tends to change toward a brown hue and gets a bit syurpy, it is likely the coolant is leaking into the crankcase. Coolant can get to the crankcase through a leaky intake manifold gasket.

o
RE: grand prix parts

outside of motor is dry now. am not sure coolant level is stable. only had 3 days to monitor it. son's car and he lives 150mi away. i had it this week to do the work. now he wants to take it back home with him this weekend. wife says to make a decision and replace intake gaskets to be sure. ya, like i really want to do that for fun. oil looks fine. the coolant is green. came that way when we bought it in april.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here