SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andyf_gw

Overload Assist for Rear Pickup

andyf
18 years ago

I haul firewood this time of year in my 86 Comanche. But the springs are tired and after my first load I had a leaf break. I welded this OK, and now I'm back in action. Problem is I'm afraid it will break again on my next load.

My options are shock spring over kits they sold 30 years ago for 10$ that I can't find, and gave you an additional 700 lbs capacity. Air-assist shocks I know nothing about, but however they work, they need to hold the load up, not just give me a stiffer absorption. If anyone can tell me how they work, I'd appreciate it. I can also remove the rubber bumpers and make my own that are larger. This will give me a stiff ride and be harder on the bearings for lack of suspension but at least it will save the springs, besides, it's all highway driving at 40 mph. I was also thinking of using the coil for a strut off a small car that has the same ID has my existing shock. Then I'd cut them to length then use muffler clamps to hold them mid way on the shock. They would be great has the coil is about 1/2in thick. I can install an additional leaf, but it'd be a hassle handling rusted hanger bolts which have to be made, and I need a quick fix and a good shop.

The truck can take the weight (2 cords) and has done for the past 6 years, but because of it's age I can't install a 300$ kit, looking for something cheap, and I can't find any kits on vehicles at the scrap yards, except one pickup which had the air shocks.

Will air charged shocks hold the weight up? How much aditional weight can I add using these?

Thanks,

Andy

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County