Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
a/c question

Posted by joe_mn (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 13, 05 at 9:11

The compressor on my 96 dodge intrepid siezed. I decided to stick in a used compressor and when I vented the freon (bad) I figured I only got several ounces of gas to come out. I had 1/3 can of freon handy and hooked it up to the low side port and the compressor sucked it in. I decided to add another can and the a/c is blowing cold. I only had the system open for 5 mins at the most and I assume very little air got into the system. what is the opinion on whether or not I should have the system evacuated and recharged?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: a/c question

Any air at all in the system will reduce cooling efficiency. I'd suggest getting it evacuated.

o

Some humidity will freeze up an orifice and it'll quit cooling, then thaw & cool a bit more, freeze and pump out warm air and thaw. All the while little ice-crystals and acids eating away the shiny slip sliding parts. At least a pump down with new desicant or reciever and fresh coolant now or lots more costs later.

o

I agree with the others. This is definitely a case where all is not necessarily okay just because it works at the moment. I've seen compressors in this situation last two weeks or less. The problem is that your last compressor seized and may have dispersed metal shavings throughout the system that are now eating away at the new one, on top of the other issues already mentioned.

Protect the compressor you have now. Get the system evacuated and recharged as a minimum, and also consider replacing the accumulator or receiver/dryer (whichever this one has).

o

http://www.autoacforum.com/categories.cfm?catid=20

o

**Protect the compressor you have now. Get the system evacuated and recharged as a minimum, and also consider replacing the accumulator or receiver/dryer (whichever this one has).**

Keep in mind this is a 10 year old dodge. I doubt he wants to throw a lot of money at it. Though purging it would be a good idea, I can see taking a chance on it as is too at this point. If there were any particals in it the damage would be done by now. I don't think anything of any size could make it past the expansion valve anyway.

o

yes it is still working but I just do not feel comfortable leaving it as is. at least if it is evacuated I should find out if the system has any crud in it. the old compressor ports were clean.

o

Even a Dodge should last at least 15 years; the air conditioner should be properly serviced - it is a very nice thing to have..
What the Cowboy and Mikie state is completely true , now if this were a 15 year old - that might be a different story...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here