Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bying used car (Mercedes 230C)

Posted by mpfefer (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 13, 05 at 9:02

Hi all,

I dont know much about cars but I do like to buy a Mercedes 230C (Model 94 ->98). I want to know what should I check prior to bying such a car.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bying used car (Mercedes 230C)

The first concern about those cars would be that the oil change indicator is calibrated for synthetic oil but most places, even the Mercedes dealerships, put conventional oil in them.

So I would check the oil change history on the vehicle.

o
RE: Buying used car (Mercedes 230C)

About the same as any other car(service history, mechanics report, quality of the service provider).
That is an excellent point by Brian.
I am suspect of the "legendary Mercedes quality" of the 90s, it was good in the 80s, except for rust...

o

Agree with what brian said. Check the oil change history. Also check the mileage of the car prior to buying it.

o

The important thing to check in buying a used Mercedes is your wallet. If you start having problems many of the repairs have to be done by the dealer because local shops don't have the expertise to do them. Or the part needed is a "dealer only' item. I just got rid of a 2001 that needed a few things. For example..cooling fan started to sound noisy. Dealer estimate parts (new fan) $1,200 and 2 hours labor..$170. So in another car where a cooling fan might be $200 installed the Mercedes was going to be $1,370. I looked on line and the cheapest fan I could find was $950. In short, many times there is no other way to go, but to the dealer and you will pay dearly.
If you have a Mercedes under warranty you are okay. If it's not under warranty and you have a problem...well, as I said in the beginning...check your wallet. You will need a fat one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here