Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tires Size

Posted by rabwabsab (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 13, 05 at 7:56

Hello,

I have a Mazda 323 Model 94. The recommended tyre size for the car is 155/80 R13. However, I bought used ones and latter realized that they are 155/70 R13. I have now put on the new ones and apparently it did not make any difference. Do you know if it can cause a problem in some way?

Regards,

Amir

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tires Size

They are somewhat undersized. Your speedometer now will be inaccurate (you'll actually be going about 5% slower than the speedometer says you are).

And you should check the load range of the tires (it's a number stamped on the side of the tire, like 89H or 75S or somesuch, most likely listed after the size) against the load range that Mazda recommends (it's in your owner's manual or a tire store can tell you). The number on the tire should be the same or larger than Mazda's recommendation. If it is not, you will not be able to carry as much in the car as you may have before.

o

From your post I'm not exactly clear which way you're recent change just went, however 70's series tires are a lower profile (i.e. shorter that 80's series); the 155 is the width (in mm) and its the same for both sizes; as is the rim diameter (13 in.).

If the original tire specs are 80's series it means that the speedometer was calibrated at the larger diameter and will read high, as Steve_o pointed out, with 70's series on the car.

IMHO, it shouldn't matter worth a darn.

Here is a link that might be useful: tire calculator

o

Thanks for the replies. I had a clue that my car will go slow now, keeping in view the small circumference of new tyres, at the same acceleration. I think its good to have higher reading on the speedometer then actual as it will save me from tickets :)

Thanks for the info, I feel more relaxed now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here