SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iggie_gw

A Tip That Might Save Someone a Bit Of Cash

iggie
17 years ago

A friend of mine bought a used 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix, seemed to run ok, however, the next morning battery was down. we preformed a battery drain test, no drain. checked alternator, it was charging properly. Next morning, battery down again, this was Memorial day and most parts stores in our area were not open. This was a maintiance free battery and from the date stamped on card was a little over 2 years old. I pried the cell cover off, removed the cell plugs and 2 of the cells were dry and all the others very low on water, we filled cells to proper level with some distilled waterm recharged battery and it has been working fine since. My riding lawn mower battery started doing the same thing, also a maintiance free one, checked water level by removing cell cover and caps, same problem. If one looks closely these batteries have a plastic strip covering the cell fill holes that can be pried up with a screw driver. The individual cell covers can be removed if one is careful. Liquid should fully cover the plates. If anyone does decide to check the liquid level in a battery, be sure to wear safety glasses, use some disposable gloves and avoid getting any of battery liquid on clothes, as it will eat then up. This technique may help someone get a lot more use out of a so called dead battery.A few batteries have sealed tops, on this type nothing can be done without special equipment.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County