Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Definition of LX, DX, EX & SE for Honda Civics

Posted by melanievg (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 07 at 23:31

I would like to know if anyone could clairify the difference between LX, DX, EX & SE for me (re a Honda Civic) And if anyone knows what they stand for. I.e. is LX luxury, DX Deluxe. SE Special Edition or Sports Edition. I get conflicting data.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Definition of LX, DX, EX & SE for Honda Civics

The letter designations USED to have meanings. But no more. They're just letters designating the level of standard equipment. SE has a lot more standard bells and whistles than a DX, that's all.
Look at the Honda Ridgeline for example. RT, RTS, RTL? The letters have absolutely no meaning except to denote the level of standard equipment.

o

The taxonomy is SE > EX > LX > DX, with the DX being the least expensive and having the fewest features. The LX adds appearance and comfort features (like body-colored mirrors, a nicer radio, cruise control), and the EX adds to the LX some performance features (four-wheel disk brakes) and some more luxury items (moonroof, more speakers). The SE designation, I think, floats. It's not a factory choice this year anyway. There also is a Civic GX, which is powered by natural (G)as.

As for what the designations stand for, DX for Deluxe may be correct. But I hate the idea that "deluxe" is the baseline (and, in fact, the least "deluxe" model they sell). It's kind of like the term "full-size" (as in "full-size car") -- like somebody ordained that this is how big a car should be (or what equipment it should have in it) and that everything else is some sort of deviation. Ick.

o

Wow, thanks for the answers I got so far, still curious if anyone knows what the abbreviations originally stood for, or if it was just an A,B,C sequence thing. At least now I have an idea what they designate. (For a "Girl" that was raised always helping my step-dad fix our cars, I've always been one to actually want to actually "understand" the different parts and what they mean.) Here's to being continuously curious and always increasing knowledge.

o

Actually, the letters never really meant anything. With the possible exception of the 1961 Impala SS which never had an official designation of "Super Sport". "SS" just sounded cool. And Chevy just let customer imaginations run wild as long as it sold cars.
In 1964 I purchased new a Ford Galaxie 500XL. I know for a fact XL NEVER meant "Extra Luxury" as some claimed.
The auto companies do focus groups to ask what sounds best and most appealing. They throw out these designations and the group either goes "aaaahhhhh" or "eeeeccccchhhh". And the "aaaahhhhhs" have it.
So don't go crazy trying to figure out LX, GT, MYW, LSMFT or any other nomenclature.
With the exception of GTO, which was copied (stolen) from Ferrarri, they mean nothing.

o

442 meant something. At least originally.

4 speed
4 barrel
2 exhaust

GTO stood for "Gran Turismo Omologata", Italian for "Grand Touring Homologated."

o

"GT" ("Grand Touring") used to have a fairly-solid definition, too. Now it simply means fancy wheels and pinstripes -- at least for most manufacturers.

The ancestor of Mazda's current 3 series was known in the U.S. as the "GLC", which Mazda insisted stood for "Great Little Car".

And sometimes the numbers follow a pattern, like Peugeot's use of n0n (405, 504, 604, etc.) and Mazda's use of n2n for a while (121, 323, 626, 929).

o

Volvo used to have some nomenclature also. 240 series meant 2 series. 4 meant 4 cyl. and 0 was broken down to the number of doors. 242 (2 door) 244 (4 door) and 245 (wagon).
Yes, in 1965 442 DID mean 4 bbl, 4 speed, dual exhaust. But that too got watered down when more cars were sold with automatics. And Pontiac swiped the GTO from the Ferrarri GTO. But we all knew what those letters REALLY meant when applied to the "Goat". GTO... "GET the TOOLS OUT!"

o

i took out a loan on a ford ltd in my younger days, think the ltd stood for long term debt hahahahaha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here