Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I repair Chevy Venture?

Posted by evets581 (My Page) on
Mon, May 19, 08 at 23:08

I have a 2000 Chevy Venture with 120000 miles on it. It needs a new transmission and a gasket at the intake manifold for $2800. Blue Book for a car in "good" condition at trade in value is about $2800. Not sure if I should repair this vehicle. Any thoughts..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I repair Chevy Venture?

Sounds like it's not worth anything in it's current state. That being the case, one way to look at it is to ask yourself if you'd pay $2800 for that car in working order if you were going to buy it. If the answer is yes, fix it. If the answer is no, don't.

o

If the $2800 repair will get you 2 more years of service, then its worth it. This works out to $1400 per year barring any other major repair which is a reasoable cost of ownership. In its present condition, it is worth only junk price, not blue book. With the repair, two years down the road, it will be worth as much or more than its present value provided it is running well and not burning/leaking too much oil, and not rusted through.

o

I had a similar issue last July when my Lumina Van blew a head gasket. About the same mileage, w/ 3.4
It didn't take me long to decide to scrap it, because it's value was equal to the repair (and that's assuming the repair went precisely by the book). Anything else turn up, the repair would cost more than it's value, and what next on the horizon - who knows. The Lumina Van's engine is a bear to work on cause it's buried so deep - unless you remove it of course. Only my take, salt environment for me, so corrosion was there, brake lines etc would come due, it all adds up fast. If yours is pristine and ran in a dry environment, then maybe. I just don't have a lot of faith in that 90 deg V6, I've had 3, all problematic, only one left to go.

o

My 2000 Chevy Venture van had the transmission replaced at 100,000 and I am still driving it. Unfortunately the air is not working for the 4th time so I am looking for a new vehicle. But I have gotten 30,000 more miles out of it since the new transmission.

o

Look at it like this: That van WILL be repaired -- by someone. If it looks decent, the engine runs, the accessories work and it has an acceptable interior, someone will fix it and use it. All the "maybes" of other stuff that could go wrong, that's true of any used car of this age and price. So, assuming you don't want to go out and buy a new vehicle, the choice is between this used car, used by you, or some other used car used by someone else -- a car that they, for some reason, decided at this point to get rid of. I vote for the one you already know something about.

o

So evets581, what did you end up deciding? I am now in the same boat at 128K miles.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here