Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
oh yeah--new truck finally

Posted by toasted_311 (My Page) on
Sun, May 22, 05 at 22:22

Ok---finally got rid of the POS 98 S-10---loved the power hated the repairs.
Anyways--I bought a new 05 GMC Sierra Ext Cab with the 4.8 V8.
The saleman and manual recommend a 6k oil change with sythentics oil. Which oil would be the best to use in this truck since I plan on keeping it until the wheels fall off. I got 170k out of a 95 4 cyl S-10 using Havoline convential 5w30 oil and 3k changes.
Thanks for all the input and help. Time for me enjoy that new car smell! First new car I bought on my own, great feeling.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: oh yeah--new truck finally

Congratulations on the new truck.

Do they really call for 6k oil changes in the manual? I thought all the new GM gasoline trucks had the GM Oil Life Monitor system which tells you when to change the oil. (It gives you a Change Engine Oil message in the Driver Information Center when it computes that an oil change is needed, based on number of engine revolutions and other factors such as engine temperature, rather than basing it on miles.)

I think you'd be fine to follow the Oil Life Monitor if you use synthetic. Unless you drive on a lot of short trips, the Oil Life Monitor system will usually call for changes at 6,000 to 8,000 miles. If you use regular oil I'd probably change it four times a year or every 4,000 to 5,000 miles, whichever comes first.

A lot of people say to wait until the second or third oil change before switching to synthetic, to make sure that the engine is all the way broken in. I don't know if it's really necessary or not, but it makes sense. What I'd do is change the original oil at about 2k to get any break-in debris out of the engine, and put regular oil back in, and then change to synthetic on the second oil change if you decide to go with synthetic.

o

How long do you want to own this truck? If keeping it four to six years and trading it away and you'll go about 100K in that time, then go right ahead and treat it the way they say to.

BUT, if you want to keep it longer, and guarantee that you have no mechanical engine failures that are the result of a lack of lubrication, or poor lubrication. Then use conventional, or synthetic, but do the 3 month, 3000 mile routine. You've always heard the line "If it aint broke, dont fix it", the 3/3000 routine is a routine that isn't broke, people shouldn't be trying to "fix it".

My 2002 Explorer just got it's 22nd oil change..... My 94 Ranger just got it's 61st. Do the math....

o

I figured that I'd change it out at 1k and then again at 6k to start the proper intervels---manual stated that the light would come on between 6k and 10k---didn't like the idea of $30 dollar DIY oil changes anyways---guess I'll stick with the 3k intervals and convential oil.
Plan on keeping this truck 10 yrs or so and the 95 almost made it to that--just listened to ex and got rid of it. Won't listen to a woman when it comes to the vehicle I drive...lol. Thanks

o

Even if you don't follow it, the Oil Life Monitor system is interesting. If you can retrieve your oil life percentage from it, you can compute at any point how many miles between changes it's going to call for, if present driving trends continue. This way you don't have to wait until the "Change Engine Oil" light comes on to see how your driving habits rate in terms of what the system "thinks."

For example, if it says that your oil life remaining is 60 percent, that means that you have used 40 percent of its life. So if you've driven 3,500 miles since the last oil change, you can take 3,500/.40 = 8,750. That means that the system is going to call for a change at about 8,750 miles since your last change.

I believe that the system will trigger the "Change Engine Oil" light about 500 miles before that point, so it'd come on at 8,250 miles since the last oil change.

o
RE: GM Oil Life Monitor System

Interesting article on the system at GM website.

Here is a link that might be useful: GM Oil Life Monitor

o

This is a great feature,IMO, and should save a lot of good oil from being wasted..
Congrats, GM for having the balls enough to do this..

I can imagine the fool who removes his thermostat, never allowing his car to fully warm up and then complains bitterly when the system requests an oil change at 900 miles!!
Or, heaven forbid, the system somehow errs and the change oil lite never glows and he keeps the dirty old oil in the sump for 50,000 miles !!

o

That's a good point. To allow for the possibility of the system malfunctioning, as well as to provide for the few owners who might go so few miles under such optimal conditions that the change engine oil light does not go on for over a year, GM says in the manuals that the oil must be changed a minimum of once per year. So, if it's been a year since the last change and the light hasn't come on, you're supposed to chance the oil anyhow and then reset the system.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here