Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ball joint question

Posted by paddle (My Page) on
Mon, May 22, 06 at 20:34

I was quoted $800(canadian) to change all 4 balljoints on our 1990 chevy G-20 van? Is this a fair quote? Does not include wheel alignment.
thanx
jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ball joint question

Pretty hard to say just from the price alone. We need to know how much the shop spends each month on a few things to find out if they are truly being "fair" with their pricing.

If their price includes enough gross profit for this job to help contribute to; The Shops's rent, The electric bill, Heat (when required), Insurance(s), Licensing fees, Health care, (More US than Canadian), Taxes, Technician wages, Technician benefits, Shop supplies such as paper, computers, water, grease and oils, soap water and paint to help keep the shop clean and safe to work in, and it also allows for some money to be put aside for training, new tools and equipment, updated software, an information system, advertising, and it fails to have a reasonable profit left over for the management/owner to earn a living off of also then it's probably not high enough because they forgot to be fair to themselves.

Of course they could make sure to pay themselves, and start skimping on things like better technicians, updated training, benefits for the employee's, newer equipment, information system, heck they could even try working without insurance, adequate lighting, janitorial expenses, and then they may not even pay all of the taxes, and licensing fees and they just might be able to give you a cheaper price! What do you think? Does that sound like a place you want to go to? They are out there, just call around and find the cheapest price for you ball joints, and you'll find one of them.

One thing I don't have to do here is try and qualify what I'm saying with a "seriously though" I am serious. Price has played such a significant role for so long the auto repair industry is barely limping along. For too long we have had poor ineffective management that allowed price to dictate business decisions to the point that there was no money left over to reinvest in the future, and it's gone on for decades. What you need to do is find a good shop, with a great tech and support them. They know they have to be fair, the problem comes down to when the public forces fair to be an unattainble goal.

If the shop cannot do the alignment, why are you even considering having them do your ball joints? The shop that can do the job completely and correctly has invested the money to be able to align the car by having both the equipment, and the technician trained to do so as well as doing the ball joints.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here