SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thecarguy

Finally retired the 96 Accord

thecarguy
17 years ago

Long time no see! I had to clean out some cob-webs, but glad to be back on-line. I finally retired the 96 Accord after almost 270,000 miles. I sold it to a friend of the family (it's his first car) He LOVES it and is taking very good care of it. His school and job are almost within walking distance of his house, so the car will enjoy a nice retirement! Meanwhile, I'll be enjoying my 2006 Accord :o) Hard to believe how much the Accord has improved in the last 10 years! While the new Accord still shows it's family sedan roots, it really has an upscale feel to it. Much more refined than the previous generations, with a lot more room inside to boot! The new rear-end is also a very welcomed improvement over the 03-05s. But while the interior design/layout and refinement is light years ahead of my 96... I'm a bit disappointed in the materials themselves. Honda has used a lot more hard plastics and the interior (particularly the door panels) rattle over bumps. I never once heard a single rattle from my 96, I certainly didn't expect them from the new one. The interior just doesn't seem as 'tight' and solid as other Hondas. I've even had my driver's side window jiggle a bit sometimes (when fully shut) causing it to make noises when driving. It's an intermittent problem, so a trip to the dealer would be a waste of time. Otherwise, however, it's been great. The power from the new K-series 4-cylinder engine is unbelievable. It truly does feel like a small V6! It is very smooth and quiet, but growls like a V6 when you put down the go-pedal. I am still a firm believer that Honda has some of the best 4-cylinder engines out there.

Heres to another 300k miles! (or close to it)

Comments (25)

• joe_mn
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

27k miles/yr. wow. thats a lot of time in the car. my neigbor drives 6k/month for his business but he has a lincoln navigator. probably uses more gas than you do. he put about 150k miles on in 2 yrs and gave it to his brother. now he has a new one.

• thecarguy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

27k miles/yr>>>

Actually, I averaged closer to about 40-45k per year. I bought the 96 used with 45k miles already on it. Of course, they were mostly all highway miles which were easy on the drivetrain. The car still drove like new, I just got tired of driving it! The new Accord is bigger, quieter, faster and more luxurious...it was time to upgrade. The only component I replaced under the hood was the radiator. The alternator, starter, AC compressor, etc. were still factory original. I never had to service the air conditioning system. I had to replace the CV axles, a passenger side wheel bearing, exhaust b-pipe and muffler, couple batteries and the the usual maint. items such as belts, brakes, hoses, filters and fluids. Never broke-down or failed to start, ever. I used Mobil1 synthetic, which I had used from day 1 and changed every 3k miles w/no exceptions. I'm hoping the new one treats me the same.

• Related Discussions

The Boomers Retire and Other Trivia

Q

Comments (6)
    You are correct Pete. Your generation hit the retirement "sweet spot:" the best of all worlds. Four of my aunts and uncles have died in the past twelve months. Each of them was fortunate to have an "ordinary" career with different companies starting immediately after WWII. Each was blessed with a couple of million in retirement plans acquired simply by going to work for the right company at the right time through the "boom" years. I tend to believe that the best "retirement plan" available to people my age and younger is to try and maintain one's health as diligently as possible and to begin preparing in other ways, more education, developing different skills, discarding "grandiose" ideas of retirement. (I need to make some more changes in that arena.) I have an unpleasant theory on what's going to happen to existing "private" retirement plans when push comes to shove. Can't elaborate. MichaelAT
    ...See More

Final inspection ?

Q

Comments (8)
    I'm not sure where you live but in our area the local city/county inspectors are so busy they typically do not do a thorough analysis/inspection. Usually, if they know the builder/electrician/plumber/HVAC they walk in, do a quick cursory glance, sign off the permit, & leave. If it is a homeowner doing their own work they usually look a little closer but still not enough to guarantee everything is to code. Keep in mind that the inspector that did sign off is most likely in a CYA mode as they don't want to be called out for missing things even though as mentioned above they typically don't do a thorough analysis. In regard to the smoke alarm they typically look to make sure it is there but that is it. They don't usually take a ladder in to test each one out. The new code requires that if one smoke detector goes off that all the other ones alarm as well which requires an additional wire being ran between them. I believe most electrical inspectors would look for that during the rough-in electrical inspection since it is a relatively new requirement but they don't go around & make sure every stud has a nail stop plate where required or check every receptacle for correct operation/voltage. Also, the local jurisdiction/city/county inspections department is not legally liable for things they miss. Now if an inspector is in cahoots w/ a builder there is most likely recourse if it can be proved. The builder & whatever trades which are listed on the permit are the ones responsible for the work being done to code & working satisfactory. You definitely did right by hiring an inspector.
    ...See More

Retirement - military wife survivor?

Q

Comments (9)
    Bejay--I hope you are still checking your post. I'm not sure if you are eligible or not, but it is well worth checking into. Here is a telephone number to call for help. 1-800-827-1000. I do know that if you're eligible you will need a copy for his DD-214 (separation papers) and also a copy of his death certificate and probably a copy of your divorce decree. Maybe more stuff--you're dealing with the government, you know--haha! Copies of these are easily obtained--well, you have some work to do but it may be well worth it. If you want to check it out on the Web further, Google "VA survivor benefits". There are several good government sites with info. Please check into it. If you're eligible, it may be a nice monthly sum for you. Good luck--Patti
    ...See More

Wondering if anyone has done this in retirement.

Q

Comments (49)
    The posts about traveling alone brought back memories of our first year/winter being campground hosts. A lady pulled in with a mini motor home(class C) and told us that she, along with her husband , had been going to Florida for many years. They were from Illinois and that year had gotten partway to Florida but she woke up one morning to find that he had passed away in the night. She stayed at a town long enough to get the necessary papers and to have him cremated, then she continued on her way. She was the sweetest lady you would want to meet. It amazed me how she was able to handle everything on the motor home . Of course, all she had to do was ask for help and everyone was there for her as they knew her so well. She came back the next year while we were there and we heard that later she was host. The Rangers were always driving through keeping an eye on things. I never forgot that lady though! :)
    ...See More
  • cheerful1_gw
    17 years ago

thecarguy: We're picking up our first Honda this weekend (a 2006 Accord EXL-V6). We're really excited about it. We have heard all good things about it. We hope we have as much luck with it as you had with your 96, and should have with your 2006.

• earthworm
    17 years ago

Upscale ?
    Improved ?
    From what I read, this once fine car (we own a '97 SE) has been cheapened by the idiotic bean counters and their lackies - the same scenario that has hurt American cars so much...
    Our '97 is huge inside, almost too large, IMO.

Improvements are possible - I hate the cheap hood prop rod, but the "old" Honda is still nice - and we have but 160K on the clock..in the past two years - NO repairs !!!

You really do take good care of the Honda, Carguy, better than I do, I must admit.. I'll bet the engine is still as new !!... even with all those miles...

• steve_a
    17 years ago

carguy, Congratulations on both of your Accords. Our '94 "retired" itself this summer, and to be honest, it was a disappointment in the reliability department. I'm convinced that this was mainly due to the oil seal problem (a recalled item), which this car was a victim of. Apparently Honda got a lot of bugs out of the car by '96! Nonetheless, we bought a 2003 EX and have been very happy with it for 3 years now. I fully agree with you about the power and feel of the 4-cylinder engine; I'm glad that we made the decision to get the 4 instead of the V6. I think that the excellent 5-speed automatic has a lot to do with it. I disagree with you about the restyled rear end. I was never that happy with the '03 rear, but now I prefer it to the new one. But that's subjective. I don't feel that our interior looks or feels cheap, and we have no rattles; we have the leather. Enjoy your new car! Steve

• thecarguy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thecarguy: We're picking up our first Honda this weekend (a 2006 Accord EXL-V6). We're really excited about it. We have heard all good things about it. We hope we have as much luck with it as you had with your 96, and should have with your 2006.>>>

Congrats! I'm loving mine and other than the rattles I had in the beginning (that were resolved by the dealer during my first dealer visit for an oil change) I have not had any further problems.

Upscale ?
    Improved ?
    From what I read, this once fine car (we own a '97 SE) has been cheapened by the idiotic bean counters and their lackies - the same scenario that has hurt American cars so much...>>>

Having owned the 96 and now the 06, while some areas of the interior aren't up to the usual Honda quality standards, the overall refinement, sophistication and design is far superior to the 96. For one thing, I was glad to see a REAL headliner rather than the cheap looking and feeling one that was in the 96 (although I have to say, it was easy to clean! In any case, plastic headliners don't belong in $20k+ automobiles.) Compared to other cars, I am still a bit disappointed in the amount of road noise that enters the cabin. This has been an ongoing problem with Hondas. Also, the car still feels a bit too light on the road at times (also common among Hondas) but otherwise, I love the clean and classy styling as well as the luxurious interior design and layout. I also like the tight handling and firm suspension. The engine refinement and performance is incredible. This car can hustle! First and foremost, however, I buy Hondas for their 4-cylinder engines... and I am confident that the new K-series is just as good (if not better) than my old F-series was.

You really do take good care of the Honda, Carguy, better than I do, I must admit.. I'll bet the engine is still as new !!... even with all those miles...>>>

Well, I am certainly not the type who just drives the daylights out of a car without staying on top of the maintenance and repairs. IMO, Hondas require no less maintenance than any other make. They still need seals, gaskets, hoses, belts, fluids, tires, batteries, exhaust pipes, etc. I did check my fluid levels with every fuel fill-up and replaced items when I felt necessary. I HAD to stay on top of my car, considering the high mileage and the fact that I was often thousands of miles away from home. I couldn't afford to have a break-down. Furthermore, the car HAD to last me until I could afford something newer and better. Regardless if it took me 2 weeks to drive 3,000 miles or 2 months, I still changed the oil. Yes, the car was still running like new when I sold it. I would've gotten in it at any time and driven it across country without thinking twice. Like I said, I just got tired of it and I was at a point where I could afford a new car. I would've driven the 96 another 100k... no problem.

I'm convinced that this was mainly due to the oil seal problem (a recalled item), which this car was a victim of. Apparently Honda got a lot of bugs out of the car by '96!>>>

Not quite, the oil seal issue affected the 96s (and 97s) too. Mine was corrected under the recall that Honda issued in 00 or 01. They installed a retainer kit that was to hold the seal in place.

• thecarguy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thecarguy: We're picking up our first Honda this weekend (a 2006 Accord EXL-V6). We're really excited about it. We have heard all good things about it. We hope we have as much luck with it as you had with your 96, and should have with your 2006.>>>

Congrats! I'm loving mine and other than the rattles I had in the beginning (that were resolved by the dealer during my first dealer visit for an oil change) I have not had any further problems.

Upscale ?
    Improved ?
    From what I read, this once fine car (we own a '97 SE) has been cheapened by the idiotic bean counters and their lackies - the same scenario that has hurt American cars so much...>>>

Having owned the 96 and now the 06, while some areas of the interior aren't up to the usual Honda quality standards, the overall refinement, sophistication and design is far superior to the 96. For one thing, I was glad to see a REAL headliner rather than the cheap looking and feeling one that was in the 96 (although I have to say, it was easy to clean! In any case, plastic headliners don't belong in $20k+ automobiles.) Compared to other cars, I am still a bit disappointed in the amount of road noise that enters the cabin. This has been an ongoing problem with Hondas. Also, the car still feels a bit too light on the road at times (also common among Hondas) but otherwise, I love the clean and classy styling as well as the luxurious interior design and layout. I also like the tight handling and firm suspension. The engine refinement and performance is incredible. This car can hustle! First and foremost, however, I buy Hondas for their 4-cylinder engines... and I am confident that the new K-series is just as good (if not better) than my old F-series was.

You really do take good care of the Honda, Carguy, better than I do, I must admit.. I'll bet the engine is still as new !!... even with all those miles...>>>

Well, I am certainly not the type who just drives the daylights out of a car without staying on top of the maintenance and repairs. IMO, Hondas require no less maintenance than any other make. They still need seals, gaskets, hoses, belts, fluids, tires, batteries, exhaust pipes, etc. I did check my fluid levels with every fuel fill-up and replaced items when I felt necessary. I HAD to stay on top of my car, considering the high mileage and the fact that I was often thousands of miles away from home. I couldn't afford to have a break-down. Furthermore, the car HAD to last me until I could afford something newer and better. Regardless if it took me 2 weeks to drive 3,000 miles or 2 months, I still changed the oil. Yes, the car was still running like new when I sold it. I would've gotten in it at any time and driven it across country without thinking twice. Like I said, I just got tired of it and I was at a point where I could afford a new car. I would've driven the 96 another 100k... no problem.

I'm convinced that this was mainly due to the oil seal problem (a recalled item), which this car was a victim of. Apparently Honda got a lot of bugs out of the car by '96!>>>

Not quite, the oil seal issue affected the 96s (and 97s) too. Mine was corrected under the recall that Honda issued in 00 or 01. They installed a retainer kit that was to hold the seal in place.

• thecarguy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oops, not sure how this got posted twice... is there any way I can delete the second post? I never got a confirmation page after the first post was apparently submitted. Odd...

• thecarguy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here is the 96 shortly before I sold it. The grille is staged on there for the picture as I had to do some slight modifications to make it fit (it was for a 96 V6 Accord - oops) I thought they'd be the same, but apparently not. Anyway, she still looked great! I polished her up and slapped on some brand new tires for the new owner. This car truly ran as good as it looked.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/ItsaHonda/CarAlbum158.jpg

The 06 at the dealership:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/ItsaHonda/CarAlbum183.jpg

• thecarguy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here is my 81 Honda Civic with 70,000 original miles which I still have (and hopefully will forever) While I wouldn't drive this car across country, I am sure it would make it!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/ItsaHonda/Civic-1.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/ItsaHonda/81CivicInterior3.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/ItsaHonda/81Civicengine2.jpg

• thecarguy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry, here is a bigger picture of the Civic if the first one was a bit too small.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5/ItsaHonda/CivicWagon.jpg

• irishbrewer
    17 years ago

How many timing belt changes did you do in 270K miles?

• thecarguy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

How many timing belt changes did you do in 270K miles?>>>

3. I replaced the t-belt (along with the water pump and oil seal every 90k miles. First service done at 90k, second at 180k and I had the third one done shortly before I sold the car. I made sure the car was fully serviced for him, as I knew it was his first car and he planned on keeping it for a long time and driving it throughout college. He loves the car, and has told me that of all the other Accords he has driven (even some newer and a lot with much less mileage) mine drove the nicest and felt the most solid.

• thecarguy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, the 96 Accord had finally been on the back of a tow truck after 305,210 miles. The current owner was driving to school one morning on I-10 about a month ago (he lives in New Orleans and drives to school in Baton Rouge which is a 65-70 mile one way trip) when the car started slowing down all of a sudden. He had been cruising steadily at around 70 mph for about 30 miles. He tried to press the gas to get the car to accelerate, but the engine just revved freely as if the car were in neutral. He pulled it off to the shoulder of the highway and once it was fully stopped, it wouldn't move an inch... only rev. He called AAA and had the car towed back to his house. About a week or so later he got in it to try and move it from the street to the side of his house, so he put it in D4 and it engaged. He was able to drive the car around the house, but has not driven it since. Assuming that the transmission was shot, he decided to buy himself a new car (2008 Nissan Sentra) and sell the Accord. He asked me if I was interested in buying it back for cheap ($500!) for that price, I said yes! The car is currently sitting on the side of his house awaiting me to go pick it up soon. I've got two options, I can get the car repaired in New Orleans (my sister is a service advisor for a Honda dealership in N.O. and has a tech. who would be willing to replace the tranny on his own time) or I'll tow it down with a car dolly. My question is, do you all think that this really sounds like a transmission that has simply conked out? I almost want to think that perhaps the transmission line or gasket developed a small leak and the transmission is just simply low on fluid. I asked him if there were any prior issues and he said none at all. The transmission was working great just before the incident occured. Has anyone experience anything similar?

Other than that, he said the car has been rock solid. The original starter did have to be replaced at around 280k miles, the CEL (check engine light) came on at the turn of 300k, heat shield rattles between 1500-2000 rpms (common problem) and he just recently had a new set of tires and brake pads installed. That's it. He has taken the car on a couple of long road trips and started commuting to Baton Rouge from New Orleans several times per week for school last year. The engine still runs strong and healthy.

All of the maintenance was up to date when I sold the car at 270,000, so nothing really needs to be done other than perhaps fluid changes. The fourth timing belt service isn't due until 360,000 miles. He said everything still works, including the AC.

Thank you in advance for any help, suggestions, etc.

• thecarguy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Also forgot to add, I've owned the car since it had only 45,000 miles and have gotten the ATF changed every 30k miles using only Honda ATF. Otherwise, the transmission has never been touched.

• ky114
    16 years ago

Too bad it isn't a 5-speed - if it were, it would still be going.

Truthfully, I am not sure I would spend money to put a new tranny in this car. Of course, it would not hurt, as you said, to have someone take a look at it to see if it's something simple, but if it's going to need a transmission, you're talking probably $2,000 at least.

I had almost 300k on a Chevy pickup I sold a few years back. I hated to admit it, but you get to the point where things are reaching the end of their useful life. They're built to go about 200k, maybe a little more if it's mostly highway like this one has been. But cars don't last forever. My suggestion would be to buy it for the $500, sell it for $1,000, and put $500 profit in your pocket. That's going to be a lot better than having to junk it with lots of new parts in it.

• thecarguy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for your feedback, greatly appreciated.

I initially sold the car because after 230k miles of driving, I was just simply ready for something new and different. I do admit that I couldn't help but get attached to the car. Now that I've spent some time away from it, I really wouldn't mind having it as a second vehicle...especially considering that I've already got nearly 40k miles on the 06.
    If the transmission is in fact done, I can get it replaced in New Orleans from anywhere between $800 -$1200 (quoted to me by the Honda tech. who would work on the car on his own time at his personal home) I can handle that. The CEL is on, so I'd get that diagnosed and repaired as well.

• ky114
    16 years ago

Well, you'd only have $1,500 in it after the transmission; you probably can't find a decent second car any cheaper than that, for certain.

• thecarguy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

especially one that I know most all of the previous maintenance and repair history...

We'll see how it turns out. I'll keep everyone posted.

• thecarguy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am having the car dollied over to my sister's house in New Orleans where it will sit until it gets fixed (shouldn't take more than a month or so) which leads me to another concern, should I have her start the car about every 2-3 days (or at least once a week) and let it run for about 35-40 minutes?... Or will it be okay to just sit? The car has already been sitting since December.

• ky114
    16 years ago

As a sometime motorcyclist in an area where you can't ride all the time, my vote would be for having her start it periodically. In New Orleans (where it's warm) I would think running it 10 minutes once a week would be enough - however long it takes for it to reach operating temperature. Problems seem to crop up when a vehicle sits too long without being run.

• thecarguy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

UPDATE: I got the transmission replaced with a remanufactured unit from Honda and a Honda tech. friend put it in for me. I flew to New Orleans and drove the car 700 miles back home. Car ran great, never skipped a beat. I just can't get over how reliable that engine has been and how many parts (AC compressor, alternator, P/S pump, etc.) are still factory original. I'm slightly disappointed in the Honda reman. unit as I don't feel its as smooth as the original was. Sometimes it shifts smooth, other times it shifts a bit rough... and the 2nd-1st downshift while coming to a stop can especially be jerky. The tech. said not to worry about it. Being a Honda reman. unit, it's under a 3 years/36k mile warranty (though that doesn't include labor of having to remove and reinstall it!) I used the cruise control all the way home and it worked great, along with the AC. Only thing the car needs now is a muffler and some suspension bushings and struts. Odometer just turned 307,000 yesterday and she's still truckin'...
    Simply amazing.

• sharon620
    16 years ago

I love my new 2008 EXL-V6 Accord. It feels like such a heavy car. I love it.
    Good luck with your new 2006's. The Accord is a great car.

sharon

• thecarguy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you and congrats on your new 08 Accord! I do enjoy the 06 very much and have logged 43k miles so far with no serious issues (only with minor interior fit and finish). This car has some ENORMOUS shoes to fill! It is certainly more of a pleasure to drive than the older Accord as it is so much roomier, refined, luxurious (especially for the class) and the new K24 4-cylinder engine and 5-speed automatic are utterly smooth and responsive. The seats are some of the most comfortable I have ever sat in and I absolutely love the sliding center arm rest. We'll see if it holds up in the long term, if it's truly built to last like my 96.

• thecarguy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

well, it's been almost a year since I repurchased my old 96 Accord. Decided I'd give an update. The car is still going, but has had some issues. Not too surprising since the dern thing is on it's way to 400,000 miles. I'm sitting at a few clicks shy of 330,000 right now. I've really saved a lot of miles on the 06 and have driven the 96 on quite a few road trips this year. My biggest problem has been with leaks. I never realized just how many places there were for oil/fluids to escape from! Lol. I've had to replace my heater hoses, rear wheel bearings and a radiator fan. My driver's side power window is completely out of whack, the steering wheel is so worn and loose that I have to hold it at the 6 0'clock position, there is a hole in the carpet below the accelerator, interior door handles have broken off, numerous interior lights are burned out, interior rattles/creaks, ABS light stays on and the check engine light goes on/off randomly. The first time it was on, it was diagnosed as being a clogged throttle body/EGR ports. Now, I'm not real sure... probably a sensor, though my gas mileage is still what it should be and the car seems to be running properly. The engine continues to start every time and just keeps running on. The rest of the car is really starting to show it's wear and tear from the high mileage, but the engine still starts, runs and sounds the same it did when I first bought the car many years back with only 45,000 miles. I'm truly blown away by it. While I worry a little that something might break on me, I never worry that it's going to be the engine. I didn't think I'd ever put this car back on the highway for the long trips, but it is still able to handle them (well, the engine still can, anyway).

The AC, cruise control and sunroof still work, though! The Honda reman. trans. has continued to disappoint... but it's still working, so I'm not going to complain too much. If it ever dies, I'll just have the engine yanked out and put into a better body. I'm really curious to know just how far this stupid thing will go.

Also, update on the 06... just over 60k miles (I'd have closer to 90k if it weren't for the 96!) and it's held up exceptionally well. Still feels like a brand new car to me. It does have some rattles in the interior that have come back, but I haven't had to do squat to the car other than put gas in it, change the oil and drive it.

It's still got a LOOONG way to go before it proves as good (hopefully better) than the 96.

Sponsored