Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fan Car NOT turning on after I turn off Car

Posted by ggalv (My Page) on
Sat, May 12, 07 at 20:01

I have a 1996 Honda Accord LX.

The fan on my car was not turning on when the car was on, so I took it to the shop and they fixed that problem (this happened about a year ago).

But after I took it to the shop, when I turn off the car the fan does not turn on automatically as it used to.

Do you guys know what might be the problem or what I should look into?

Appreciate your help
THANKS

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fan Car NOT turning on after I turn off Car

If the fan was not running while the engine was running, it will not run immediately following engine shut down.

The electric cooling fan is controlled by a temperature sensor. When the temperature sensor trips, a relay is turned on to power the fan. If the coolant does not get hot enough to trip the sensor, the fan will not run.

On many cars, the fan is shut off when the ignition is shut down, however, some cars and I believe that Honda is one, the fan circuit is electrically hot at all times and the fan will run so long as the temperature sensor calls for it, thus, the fan runs for a period after engine shut-off (provided it was running at engine shut-down).

If all was working well, the coolant was not hot enough to warrant a fan when you shut down. However, what you should be concerned with is, "Does the fan run when it should? Is the temperature sensor and fan circuit working?" If you car has a temperaure gage, it can be helpful while diagnosing this system.

The other question becomes, "Is the thermostat working, or is it stuck open or missing?" If you are uncomfortable in running a test with the car at rest with the radiator covered, then it is best that you take your concerns to a local shop that you trust.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here