Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
your foot

Posted by pawprint1 (My Page) on
Mon, May 2, 05 at 19:58

When driving, do you pivot your foot between the accelerator and brake or do you actually move your foot each time?

I've seen people do both, and my Grandma still uses 2 feet to drive her automatic.

Not sure what is the safest way.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: your foot

My $.02 is that pivoting your foot is safer. If you need to use your brake, there's not typically any reason to use your accelerator. And vice versa. So why give a foot a chance to "misfire" and contradict what you intended to do?

o

I learnt how to drive in a Standard..
My Dad is English, and when we moved to Canada, drove his first Automatic car. I always remember him telling me to make sure that I tuck my left foot near the door as close to the seat as possible. that way, I'd always use my right foot for both the accelerator and brake. I have later tried using both feet in an auto, and it just doesn't feel right! Personally, I think that it is safer to just use one foot.. as Steve o said, less room for error!

o

Probably the only time my left foot has touched a brake pedal is when there's a boat behind me.

o

"Safety" is far too overplayed in todays world..

In the comfortable and efficient operation of a motor vehicle ,there are other important aspects to consider.
One is ergonomics, the pedals must be positioned in relationship to the feet allowing quick and easy pivoting from the throttle control to the brake.
If a man must lift his whole leg in order to control his vehicle, then it becomes tiresome and too much time(measured in micro-seconds) is spend in the braking process.
But of course the two pedals must not be too close together.
Today's cars with their adjustable pedals, seats and steering do allow for more comfort and greater ease of operation...
Stop and go, go and stop is too repetitious and tiring, so I switch feet sometimes, poising the left foot over the brake control- but of course never riding the brake..

o

It's always lovely to be stuck behind a vehicle where the brake lights don't go off when it starts accelerating. Makes me wish i were a brake mechanic charging $80/hour, it does...

o

I'm lazy and pivot my foot from the brake to accelerator. I can tell because I have a dent in my floor matt and the right edge of my brake peddle is wearing.

o

I use both feet. No, I don't use them at the same time. I don't ride the brakes.

o

I have driven and own VWs which have very close pedals so I have pivoted my right foot between accelerated & brake pedal.

o

Geeze, this must be a slow day.

I pivot. Either works.

Probably the only time my left foot has touched a brake pedal is when there's a boat behind me.
I can't figure out how he is driving in a lake.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here