Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Problems with my 2000 Pontiac Grand GT

Posted by tab_b (My Page) on
Tue, May 26, 09 at 17:45

First off my check engine light is on, so I there is something wrong with my car. I don't know anything at all about cars was wondering if someone might know what could be wrong and about how much it's going to cost me.

Problem:
As I am driving my car seems to not get into the right gear, and the RMP thing goes up to 4 when this happens. This doesn't happen every time I drive, and doesn't always happen at the same speed. Now I have notices the this seems to happen at 30 MPH, 40 MPH or 55 MPH. Also when I am going up hill is seems to slip out of gear and my MPH start to drop without me taking my foot off the gas, and again the RPMs start to go up. If I take my foot off the gas and repress it down something I can get into gear, and something I have to keep trying over and over. I have ask a few friends about this issue and they have all said many different things, but none of them really knows cars. I hope someone can help me on here. I am thinking it is going to cost me a lot cause this cars seems to need something "not cheap" replaced about every 6 months, and I am due for another big bill. Thanks for anyone who takes the time to help me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Problems with my 2000 Pontiac Grand GT

Take your car to a shop before you blow up the engine from an over-speed.

There are several things that may cause your problem. The first step is to read the trouble codes and get a good diagnostic by a qualified technican. From your description, it seems that the transmission is misbehaving, but this may not be the fault of the tranny itself. It could be other things like a bad sensor or low manifold vacuum.

The "4" on the RPM thingy is probably 4000 rpm.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here