Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing emissions equipment

Posted by Timbulb (dojadoja@hotmail.com) on
Sat, May 7, 05 at 16:13

I live in Alberta Canada which doesn't require emissions testing. I have a 90 Caprice Classic with a 305. I'm interested in removing all the emissions stuff , air pump etc. from under my hood. Is this easy? What can I remove and what can't I? Where could I find out what new belts, pulleys, etc. I might need?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing emissions equipment

Before computers were commonly used to monitor and control engine parameters for operation and emission control, it was fairly easy to do away with air pumps and such. If anything is modified or removed from an engine today, it is more than likely that you will only cause yourself problems either in starting, or running, and even transmission performance. Everything is so tied into that computer, that failure or disconnection of a sensor or solenoid can cause major performance loss. It's best to keep everything installed and maintained to minimize problems.

GG

o

Why do you want to remove it? Yes it is easy, sort of, if you don't mind tinkering, but it is not cheep. As the other poster says, all that stuff is pretty much tied together anymore so that if you tamper with it, odds are it will run worse, not better, and needlessly stink up the air to boot. I'm not sure how your car is. By that year it probably has throttle body fuel injection, electronic spark advance control, an egr valve, air pump, and catalytic converter plus a few other things. If you want to get rid of all the trick stuff, the minimum would be to get an intake manifold, carburetor, maybe a different fuel pump, and an old style HEI distributor. You'd also have to remove the catalytic converter and replace it with a piece of pipe. For the brakets for the belts, you can try to find them in a junk yard for a 305 from the 1970's. There are also really neat (and expensive) aftermarket brakets and pullies available. Do what I said so far and you'll have probably $1500 plus your time into it. I would not recommend trying cheep out and remove componants or vacuum lines and call it good. IMO, the options are strip it clear down as I described or maintain it the way it is. I'm assuming it's all in working order now.

o

$1500 will buy you a decent amount of CARB-certified aftermarket performance parts for that engine.

o

I own an 03 mustang GT and it came from California and still has the California Emissions Control system on it.
I live in Texas and I don't need the system on there.
Can somebody tell me exactly what it is? And how it can get taken off?

o

your engine was designed and built to operate with that
emission " stuff " . Even the valve and ign. timing have been
altered. Remove it if you want but don't let your auto club
membership expire. good luck. I've seen a guy remove his air
pump back in the 70's and the exhaust valves burned up. The
cat converter over heated and the carpet caught fire. The engineers didn't find a box of parts laying on the factory
floor and decided to slap them on something. They are there
for a reason. Do what you think is best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here