Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone done anything to cut there fuel consumption?

Posted by johndeere (My Page) on
Fri, May 12, 06 at 16:00

There are several things to do to cut back on gas.Like car pooling,keeping the tires inflated to spec,slowing down,staying home,walking,etc.I was just wondering if anyone is doing anything to save at the pump?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone done anything to cut there fuel consumption?

I am currently able to bike/walk to work, because the distance is just under three miles. It's not that hard, you just make up your mind and do it. But my wife, who usually takes a bus to work, has been forced to use the car for scheduled appointments with doctors and physical therapists for an arthritic neck, so our use of the family car continues to be significant.

o

I have two vehicles: An old one that I like and is suited to winter conditions, and the other is newer with less ground clearance. The old one gets 17 to 20 MPG while the newer one can achieve 30 MPH highway. I have shifted the bulk of my miles to the newer one, and use the old one only when necessary. Also, I try to combine trips and leave the cars parked as much as possible.

o

at 6000 miles a yr, i dont drive enough to care.

o

Have changed my driving habits a bit, lay off the gas pedal a bit, check the air pressure in the tires more often and cut back playing pick up hockey at 1 rink which is around 30 miles away!!

o

I recently bought new tires for my car and did a fair amount of research to determine which had the lowest rolling resistance. Low rolling resistance means it takes less fuel to overcome the resistance of the tires.

In the past, I would have cared less and bought tires based more on their performance characteristics or price. At $3/gallon and up, though, it didn't make sense to me to buy tires which would ding me for a couple of miles per gallon every time I drove. That adds up to a lot over tens of thousands of miles. Haven't put enough miles on the car yet to get a good read on their effect on fuel mileage, though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here