Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transmission issue with hot

Posted by ken_in_kc (kkranz1@yahoo.com) on
Tue, May 29, 12 at 15:12

1998 Ford Contour with the 2.5L V6. The transmission shifts and downshifts smooth when driven short distances. However after being driven on the highway for 40-50 minutes it begins to act up. Slips and catches when accelerating from a stop. I've had the trans fluid changed every 20-25,000 miles and the car only has 90,000 miles on it.

Could it be something as simple as a speed or transmission range sensor? Or is it the beginning of the end?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transmission issue with hot

If this is a self-adjusting transmission ala Dodge/Chrysler, it is probably near its end. The newer self adjusting trannys are loaded with sensors that measure shifing times and then makes adjustments to the timing data. They do not actually mechanically adjust for wear, but change the timing of the shifting servos. Thses servos have longer strokes to account for the reqired motion. As a result, signs of shifting troubles do not show until the clutches are nearly worn out.

On the opposite side of the coin, shifting problems can be caused by corrosion in one or more of the many electrical connectors to the transmission. My advice, take it to a reputable transmission shop and have them run a diagonisis on it. Its not unusual for the clutches to wear out in 90,000 miles of commuting traffic.

Another possibility: The seals in the servo-valves are worn. Leakage is low enough with cool fluid to operate the servo-vavles, but as the fluid heats and leakage increaes, operation goes to pot.

In any event, slippage is bad news and complete failure usually results with continued use.

o
RE: transmission issue with hot

Thanks. Actually I'm in the process of trying to sell it. I got it 6 years ago to be an extra car and for my sons in high school and college. If I can't anything out of it and if it's just a sensor, I might keep it as an extra car.

But as you said shifting issues are usually bad news.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here