Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
miss under load

Posted by joe_mn (My Page) on
Fri, May 21, 10 at 14:14

my car has a slight miss at idle. comes and goes. when i turn on the a/c the miss is more pronounced. does that usually point you in one direction as to what the issue is? car has new plugs, intake manifold gaskets, pcv system seems fine. no loose fittings or hoses. i get a occasional egr code but that might be due to my egr valve sticking open on occasion. i have taken it off and checked the pintle and seems ok. would hate to think this is due to a sticky egr valve. don't really want to replace that. but i could.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: miss under load

If you have ignition 'wires', were these replaced?

An ERG valve stuck partly open would affect all cylinders and the engine will stumble.

Poor quality fuel can cause intermittent misfire on random cylinders at idle. I had this problem with my vehicle after it had been stored over the winter. Refilling with new fuel fixed it.

Let us know what you find.

o

96 seville. it has plug wires. 5 yrs old. delco brand. don't feel like spending 100 for wires. but it could fix car.

o

It should not cost you $100 for ignition leads if you replace those yourself. Price out a set at your favorite auto parts store.

But first, some simple checks are in order. Measure the resistance of the leads. Those should be no more than 5000 to 8000 ohms per foot of length. If you one that is greater than this, replace the whole set. But if they are equal or less than the range given above, more tests are needed. Ignition leads can test good when cold and go high when hot.

Important: When removing ignition leads, do not grab the wire part and pull. The fragile connection inside the end covers can be pulled loose and/or the leads can be damaged if stretched. Static suppresion leads do not have a metal conductor, but instead may be a carbon loaded string or packed resistance material. Remove by rotating and pulling on the end covers. In some cases, a plug wire extractor may be helpful provided there is room enough for it, and it must get a good grip over the end of the wire cover.

If simple quick tests are not helpful, then its time for more help with a good diagnostician who is well equipped. There are a varitey of problems that can cause the engine to misfire at idle when its load is increased, such as the air conditioner kicking in.

You have a '96 Cadillac. Perchance, do you have the 4,6,8 firing system? The engine may seem to run rough at low RPM when operating on 6 cylinders. Also, this system is designed to periodically change the active cylinders when running in the 4 or 6 cy mode. This change of cylinders was designed to be as smooth as possible, but it may be detected by a person who is peering under the hood.

I don't know the Cadilac line very well, but I am under the impression that the 4,6,8 system was offered for only one year.

o

4-6-8 was in 1982? no northstar ever had that technology. plug wires for a northstar are 100 for delco or 50 for generic at AZ. OHC motor so plug boots seal against valve cover. long extended boots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here