Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can't Turn on the car sometimes

Posted by yan19454 (My Page) on
Wed, May 11, 05 at 13:28

I hit the curb one time with my Saturn SL 2003. I changed the bumper and front frame after, Some one else some times hard to turn on the car. But after a few attempts, they will have no problem to turn on. What is issue here ?

Do you know how much it will cost ? Do I need to go to the dealer ? Dealer always cost more.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can't Turn on the car sometimes

Hard to turn on? Do you mean that the key is hard to turn in the ignition switch or that the engine barely turns over or what? Can you be a bit more specific about the problem?

o

They can't turn the switch on. No electric equipment can't be on. It only happened two times after the accident happened more than one year. Thanks.

o

I do not see any correlation between the accident and the ignition key switch engagement effectiveness.
As a guess, maybe one of the relays ?
Better guess , maybe the ignition switch on its way south.

You need a really experienced man, with a sensitive feel, to perform an accurate diagnosis...If the switch is turned 50% and the car springs to life, then, I think this is good..
If at 90% and the starter motor finally spins, then this is not so good..
And the repeatability must be at 100 %..

o

But if you shake a little bit steer wheel, you can turn on, I am thinking the connection loose.

o

If the steering wheel and thus the steered wheels are turned sharply in one direction (as opposed to being straight) when the car is shut off, sometimes the steering locking mechanism will catch and prevent the ignition switch from turning. You need to physically move the steering wheel slightly in the opposite direction (you can feel the resistance or tension in the steering) before trying to turn the key.

Is this your problem?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here