Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can I repair the crack

Posted by backspace (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 07 at 12:42

There is a crack on the metal pipe. I found that it comes in the entire unit. But instead of replacing the whole thing, can the shop just repair the crack?

Here is a link that might be useful: picture of down pipe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can I repair the crack

Sure.

o

Can it be done temporarily? Sure. Permanently, that's a different question. The repeated heating and cooling of the pipe is what caused it to break, much the same way you can break a piece of metal by bending it back and forth. Stainless Steel, which is what that pipe is made of is actually quite soft. Yea, I know people think it's hard becuse they burn up drill bits when they try and drill a hole through it. With proper equipment, and techniques, stainless drills quite easy. Anyway, over time, the metal starts to fatigue and fail just as yours has. When you weld up the crack, you will make that part of the pipe stronger than the pipe around it, and of course that results in failures on either side of the welded repair. The only variable is just how long it takes the next failure to occur.

One imnportant note. Unplug the O2 sensors, and any computers on the car before doing this. Voltage spikes from welding are know to occasionally damage sensitive electronics.

o

HAZ (Heat Affected Zone) is the area directly on each side of the weld and is a weak area unless the part is properly preheated and a slow cooling process is used, this will greatly improve durability. Pretty hard to do with the part still on the vehicle and if you take it off well why not install a new one. If it were mine I would probably pull my 220volt mig welder with the .023 308 ss wire under there and weld her up every time it broke only takes 10 minutes or so to grind it off and reweld. Do you have several hundred bucks to get setup with the proper equipment and then a few weeks of training/practice time?? that way you can crawl under this puppy every year or so and weld like crazy (real crazy)

o

john g hit the nail on the head as usual.

The head pipes get hot as the hubs of h*ll. Wrecks the material after a while. Give it a try if you want, but don't be surprised if it cracks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here