SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nitrojc

1994 Pontiac sunbird Air conditioner

nitrojc
13 years ago

Hello, A friend of mine has this vehicle with the 2.0l engine. He's in the process of recharging the A/C system, but Can Not get the compressor to run in order to charge the system. It uses the R-134A type coolant.

I Need to know how to by-pass the safety switch, or whatever it has to run the compressor, so that it will Accept a new charge of 134A.

Any Help is appreciated, Thanks, Nitrojc.

Comments (3)

• kalining
    13 years ago

Are any of you qualified to work on the A.C. system ? By
    reading the post i'd say not. If there are no wiring problems and everything is connected properly the compressor will start by itself when it reaches the proper
    low cut out pressure. You DO NOT have to bypass anything.
    It could cause and probably will cause serious damage if
    bypassed. If you have the proper tools and know how to charge a system the compressor doesn't need to run at all to charge it. Good luck.

• nitrojc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

HELLO, On a Fully charged A/C system, what would the Average PSI. Readings be for the Low, and High sides of the Compressor ?? ........ Thanks, Nitrojc.

• kalining
    13 years ago

You don't say if the compressor is at a static equalized
    state or running. Equalized approx. 110-120 lbs. depends on the ambiant temp. Running with all windows closed and the fan on high after the inside temp. is at 70F. approx.
    28-35 F. High side approx. 175- 300. again depending on the ambiant temp. During the test there is supposed to be a high speed fan infront of the condenser simulating highway travel. That is a very hard question to answer because ALL simulations are different. A bad or leaking
    compressor valve will change all pressures. You just kind of have to " know ". NO compressor or pressures will be the same in any vehical. The pressures you see in the book
    are referance and starting points only. If i charge an A.C.
    system in the winter ( home AC ) the low side will be about 5-10 lbs. In the summer it will go up to 55-65 bls. by itself where it should be if charged properly. Hope that helps. Good luck.

Sponsored