SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laura_ia

Price for water pump replacement?

Laura_IA
18 years ago

Well, we found a car for 16 year old DD. 91 Nissan Maxima, auto, 132k miles. Bought it Thursday, took it to get new tires, brakes, oil change and transmission flush. Friday we notice the smell of anti-freeze, but the radiator is not cracked and we couldn't figure out where it was leaking. Car is not running hot, and it's leaking just a bit, not a big puddle or anything.

She works at a golf course close to home, and works with a lot of guys who are much more car savvy than I am, so I had her drive it to work this morning and ask one of the guys to look at it. They told her the water pump is cracked and needs to be replaced. They also told her it would cost $600 to replace. Is this about right? After spending $600 on Thursday for the ties, brakes, etc., I'm a little sick.

I thought I had made a good purchase for her. This car is so quiet when it runs, and there is no play whatsoever in the stearing. It's totally clean and seemed to be in such good shape. I know these things happen, I'm just bummed for her and feeling guilty that I didn't make a good choice, and also shocked that it could be that expensive to replace. I also understand that I should probably have the timing belt changed while they're doing the water pump. Is that true?

Thanks for letting me vent :)

Comments (11)

Sponsored