Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Upholstery repair-any DIY advice?

Posted by aartwmich (My Page) on
Sat, May 28, 05 at 10:03

I have some van seats that I had stored in the shed. Well the mice got to 'em and chewed 3 quarter sized holes thru the fabric and slightly into the foam. I would like to patch these holes, they are merely unsightly not really structural damage.

The fabric is kind of like velour, it has a nap to it and a pattern of grays and bronze. I've looked around the edges of the seat covers looking for a scrap tucked in somehwere that I could rob, but to no avail. I've seen these kits that have a glue and different colored fine powders and wondered if anyone has used them that could offer tips or tricks--or say yeah or nay.

Thanks in advance to any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Upholstery repair-any DIY advice?

IMO the cheep trick you mention might be worth a shot if the holes were the size of a cigarette burn. Yours sounds too big for that to me. If it were me and neatness mattered at all, I'd take it to an upolstery shop and see if they have fabric to match and replace the bad panels. It usually doesn't cost that much replace one panel like it does if they were going to make an entire seat cover.

o
RE: Upholstery repair-any DIY advice?

Get another seat from a junk shop, recycle shop, you can order parts on line too from recycle shops around the US.

Duane in Japan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here