Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2003 Honda Civic LX

Posted by fiedlermeister (My Page) on
Wed, May 2, 12 at 9:07

I have broken the red plastic cover on the tail light. Can this be replaced separately or do I have to replace the whole tail light? I seem to be able to find the part but the dealer says it only comes as a unit

Thanks

John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2003 Honda Civic LX

Consult a repair manual. Also, look at your assembly. Is the red cover a separate piece or is it securely fastened to the assembly via sonic welding or solvent cement? If it is melded to a base piece, very likely the entire housing is replaced as one piece.

Next, try to locate a repair part at sites such as rockauto.com. This'll give you an idea of price. Next, query the web sites of your local salavage yards. Several salvage yards sell good used body pieces. Contact one that deals in Japnese and foriegn car parts. If you can locate a good salvage part that is not crazed, it should do nicely, but you'll have to install it yourself or entice a friend to do it.

Never use regular auto wax on plastic lamp assemblies. The solvent in the wax can attack and craze plastic lenses.

o
RE: 2003 Honda Civic LX

Thanks for your response

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here