Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
purchasing a volkswagon beetle

Posted by rabbit8 (My Page) on
Tue, May 16, 06 at 8:53

I'm in the process of buying a volkswagon bettle. I would like to know which one is the better buy. I'm a female. What size motor and etc?
Thanks in advance for your help.

p.s need help now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: purchasing a volkswagon beetle

I assume you mean the current Beetle, not one of the old air-cooled ones. If so, ...

For 2006, there are only two engine choices: a 2.5-liter gasoline engine and a 1.9-liter diesel engine. The Convertible does not offer the diesel engine. Unless you really pile on the miles, the 2.5-liter engine probably is your best choice. Depending on where you live, diesel fuel may be hard to find and diesel engines don't handle short-hop (under 10 miles per trip) driving as well as gas engines can. On the other hand, the diesel will give you half-again the mileage on fuel that costs about the same as regular unleaded gasoline. And, at around-town speeds, it's as fast as the old 1.8 Turbo. Not noisy or stinky, either.

(BTW, I own a diesel VW Jetta and would not trade it [or my mileage] for anything.)

Previous Beetles offered a choice of three engines: a stock 2.0 liter, a turbocharged 1.8-liter, and a 1.9-liter diesel engine (again, no diesel on the Convertible). The 1.8 offers good performance, but requires premium gas. The 2.0 liter is often referred to as the "2.slow" but it is adequate. It could be more powerful, it could be quieter, it could get better mileage. But it gets the job done. The diesel I've commented on above.

Bear in mind that, if you want a diesel Beetle, most dealers will not give you any kind of break on the price. These cars sell as soon as the transport truck arrives and the dealers know it. With fuel getting expensive and staying that way, getting 35 mpg no matter how you drive (and up to 55 if you're careful on the highway) is mighty appealing.

Hope this helps....

o
RE: purchasing a volkswagon beetle

thanks for the information.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here