Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WV 2000 Beetle

Posted by CBryant (My Page) on
Wed, May 14, 14 at 8:31

It started this morning when I am sitting in drive it has a hesitation, but I can slip it in neutral and it began to idle just fine. In recent weeks I have had a tune up , new plugs wires and fuel filter . Just wondering what it could be in the long line on trouble after trouble.
Desperate for answers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WV 2000 Beetle

On a wild outside chance, check for a broken ground strap. Somewhere on the engine there should be an electrical woven strap or multi-strand wire that connects the engine block to the chassis. When the ground strap is comprimised, the neutral/park switch can complete the ignition circuit and when the shift lever is moved into any gear, the neutral switch is opened leaving the ignition circuit to find an alternate path. On the car where I found this problem, the ignition stopped entierly when the shift lever was moved to a gear.

(How did I find this? I got the clue when the overloaded neutral switch circuit began to smoke.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here