Posted by john_g (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 07 at 8:31

You have to see this.

http://www.kountrylife.com/forum/messages/391579.html

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What was the first sign of trouble?

No, JB Weld will not suffice (grin).

It looks like a high rev failure to me. What's your guess?

o

That it was more excitement than Pontiac ever built! VBG

Really don't know. I don't do much big stuff at all, in fact I do everything I can to avoid it completely.

High rev on an engine like that is probably 2400-2600, (guessing) at least that's what I would expect. But that's a considerable amount of torque being created, so I am not suprised that any failure results in massive destruction.
I'm glad no-one got hurt, but get a chuckle about the classic cartoon version where everything drops out on the road, and this one litterally did that!

o

RPMs: That was an in-line engine (usually) governed at 2100. They don't run much over about 1800 max rpm anymore MT or loaded. Usually 1200 to 1600. Suck em down to 1100 even under load long as they don't start to heat.

Anyway years ago a friend lost a 335 Cummins - tops of all the pistons came off! After several months of extreme effort Cummins VERY reluctantly admitted to having made a batch of bad pistons.

Many years (10 ?) later an outfit I drove for installed an old used (same era) 335 engine out of a wrecking yard and I had the pleasure of driving it when it lost all its piston tops 1/2 way up a 2-lane mountain road at night. The first sign of trouble was just a sudden terrible grinding/thumping noise/feeling. I shut down immediately, of course. My first thot at the time was the main bearing in the transmission. Then I got scared of a collision sitting there dead in the road; in a cabover you are the first one there. Then I fired up again to get to a wide spot, hell with the engine. Man did it run rough.
Then I thot the engine might explode; it was a cabover where you sit right next to the engine. Then I froze for 4 hours till they come-n-got me.

o

A number of years ago in my town, late at night, a trucker was preparing to accelerate up a ramp on to the expressway. It was an uphil pull, so you can imagine the driver was pulling all he could get out of the enigne. As he did a 90 deg turn off the surface street and right after, he executed a gear change on his 18 wheel rig, but apparently, he caught a lower gear instead of the next higher one. He let out the clutch and pressed the accelerator. The engine let out a mighty whine and the clutch came apart. Parts of it penetrated the floor and broke the poor fellow's ankle. It was late at night. The rig with its moaning driver sat in the center of the ramp until a policeman came by and set a resecue in motion.

On a personl note, I had a brake shop blow up one of my engines. My car, a 92 Dodge Dynasty with the 3.3 V6 Chrysler engine, was running fine when I took it in for a brake job. It was running fine with no untoward engine noises when an employee took it out for about a mile to check their work. After 15 minutes passed and we all began to wonder what happened, the young driver came walking back and reported an engine failure. When I went to the car, 1/2 block behind the car was the beginning of the oil and coolant spill. A rod was laying in the street; a piece of another rod was under the car. One rod had holed out the oil pan and another rod had poked a hole in the engine block internally. The driver insisted that he did not do anything to cause such a thing. I did not believe him. It had all the earmarks of an overspeed engine.

It had an automatic transmission. What I think may have happened was that he had the shift lever in position "3" and while under throttle, and then tried to move the lever to "D" or drive. This car has no stop gate when going from 3 to D, thus it is easy to move right through "drive" to "neutral". (On this car, second gear is held up to 40 mph with the selector lever in position "3".)

o

Needs more than jb weld...needs a new pan too at least : ) Doesn't need to be over reved for that kind of thing to happen with a diesel. A flaw in about anything, block, crank, rod, piston, or valve can cause one to self destruct, though that ones the worst I've seen by far.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here