Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maxima or Dakota for long trip?

Posted by cheerful1 (My Page) on
Wed, May 4, 05 at 8:02

My husband will be driving to West Virginia. It's a 300 mile trip. We have a 2000 Maxima and a 2004 Dakota. Would either vehicle make it there without stopping for gas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maxima or Dakota for long trip?

I drive a 97 chevy pickup and get 400 miles per tank of fuel (about 21 gallons) I would think that either one of those two vehicles would do that well or better unless they have awful small gas tanks and the man has real bad driving habits LOL. Why would he not want to stop for fuel anyway? I always have to stop every 100 miles or so just to stretch my legs a bit.

o

Most vehicles will go at least 300 miles on a tank, so I'd guess that either vehicle would make the trip without stopping for gas.

o

Should be easy to figure out by doing the math. Total fuel tank capacity (take off one gallon, as nobody can actually run the tank 100% dry) and divide by average MPG. That will tell you how far you can go on a tank. Pretty obvious, so perhaps you have already done this. If your driving is a combo of city plus freeway, then you will have to use a simple or weighted average to come up with the MPG estimate.

L

o

Much better is the Diesel, in a rationally sized car, 600 to 700 miles on a tank is easily possible..
Most filling stations are clean, there is no odious fuel smell, Diesel fueling is even safer..

o

Earthworm, I musta missed something. Diesel, take the maxima better mpg. Its has the v6 and i driven 400 w/ mine when i owned it on freeway driving.

o

If you will be on paved roads at all times, take the Maxima. It's more confortable, gets better gas mileage, and may be safer than the truck (at speed) on rain slicked roads.

If you will be traveling on unpaved roads at any time including gravel, or if you will be hauling sizeable cargo, take the truck.

The truck can handle gravel better than the car, and why beat the underside and fenders of a nice car when you have an alternative.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here