Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
another balljoint question

Posted by paddle (My Page) on
Wed, May 24, 06 at 6:45

How can i check if my balljoints are gone? I tried moving my tire back and fourth when jacked up, nothing. But i can hear some noise when i go over bumps at a slow speed. It's a 1993 Plymouth Sundance with 100,000 km's on her.
thanx
again
jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: another balljoint question

To check the ball joints you have to jack up the car so that the ball joint is unloaded, that means by the frame on your Sundance. You have to check for axial movement movement with your hands at the top and the bottom of the wheel, alternately pushing in and out, (in with one hand while you pull out with the other) Then you need to repeat this with your hands at 10 o'clock and 4 o'clock, and then once again with your hands at 2 o'clock and 8 at o'clock.

While your at it, go 3 o'clock, and 9 o'clock and watch the tie rod end too, and also pay attention to the lower control arm bushings.

NEXT, you take a prybar and try to lift the wheel. This is to check for verticle movement in the joint, then you need to try and check for movement by pushing up on the control arm.

BTW, I just have to tell you. The special tools (dial indicators, pedistals, gages) that I have just for measuring front end joint play cost me more than what you had quoted for doing the joints on your van, and I'm talking US dollars, not canabucks.

As far as your clunking at slow speeds over bumps, pay attention to your sway bar bushings, both at the control arms and the frame.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here