Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lifters won't build back up after changing the oil in my 1996 M/C

Posted by cek1127 (My Page) on
Sun, May 20, 07 at 1:41

I changed the oil, put in new spark plugs and wires. The car sat for 3 or 4 days without the oil in it and when I cranked it, the lifters would not build back up. So I checked the oil pressure and it has 60 pounds of pressure. I bought the car new. It has 115,000 miles and has no problems other than it needed plugs and wires. Why did the lifters lose there prime and what should I do next? HELP.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lifters won't build back up after changing the oil in my 1996

Why did you leave the engine dry for 3 days ? BIG mistake.
Every nook, krany, and oriface drained. If your lifters will not pump up there is no oil pressure in the lifter gallary. The lifters will pump up eventually but you have
just taken 50,000 miles off your lifters and cam assembly
by running them dry. did you prime the filter before starting the engine ? One very expensive lesson learned.
Good luck.

o
RE: Lifters won't build back up after changing the oil in my 1996

I just re read your post. i'll bet my last beer on a sunday
you forgot your engine had no oil in it and fired it up.
when the lifters would not quiet down you realized you forgot to put oil in the engine. Then you did an oil pressure test after you filled it to make sure you didn't damage the crank, right ? i could be wrong.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here