Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
synthetic oils

Posted by the_woodge (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 1, 08 at 21:24

Does anyone know why you should not use full synthetic oils in older vehicles? I have read and heard from various sources that using full synthetic oil in older vehicles is harmful to them. If anyone could shed some light on this please let me know.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: synthetic oils

The only issue alleged that I know of is oil leaks. Some claim that it will clean junk that accumulated around gaskets and seals so that you might get oil leaks that you didn't have before. Don't know if there's anything to it or not.

Don't know why you'd want to. It costs a bunch more. IMO, the best thing you can do is use the oil recommended by the manufacturer, and change it every 3 mo's or 3k miles or so.

jmo

o

I keep my cars a very long time, 10 yrs or so and always over 100,000 miles. My last had 175K before my son crashed it. Always used standard oil and never had engine related problems.

o

How old is your " older vehicle "? Synthetic oils are not
recommended for older push rod engines. They are designed
for roller cam and roller rocker engines. Zinc Dialkyldithiophosphate (ZDDP)has been removed from synthetic oils. That was the only protection the flat cam flat tappet assembly had in the older engines against wear.
Synthetic oil in an old flat tappet engine will soon turn
your cam into a one inch round iron bar. Doesn't do the
lifters any good either.

o

I forgot. There are two synthetic oils out there for the older engines. Valvoline is one of them and i forget the
other one.

o

Mobil 1 High Milage.
Protects cams and lifters too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Has Zink been removed from all motor oils ?

o

I was a dealer in synthetic oils for 25 years , tested many oils. The thing that stands out is when it is cold outside synthetics flow .. period. I took a bottle of 10w-30 oil conventional and MOBIL 1 10W-30 , left them outside in sub freezing temps , next morning synthetic flowed and conventional oozed like molasses . I would not recomend synthetics on older cars .. Synthetic oil is in every piece of equipment Iown . initial start up damages engines the most.

o

some of the older cars called for mobil 1, buick i remember did, on their turbo motors also think chrysler did on their turbo fours.

o

I am a firm believer if you use pennzoil for 30000 miles stay with it . DO NOT keep switching oils . The gap of conventional and synthetics in price is narrowing a bit . I remember the price was 3 to 1 . I go 4000 miles on oil changes but that depends how you drive.The manufacturer of the oil says 15000 miles , they must want you to buy a new engine. I refuse to believe the oil isnt contamimated at some point.

o

i change i once a yr wheather it needs it or not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here