Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tools

Posted by plaidthumb (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 17, 07 at 21:14

Okay, just what tools are worth carrying these days? Or just a celphone for road service?

Our 17-yr old has her second car ('01 Saturn). This one is in good enough shape I feel comfortable with her driving it other than just to school/work. I started swapping the tool kit I had assembled for her first car ('81 Eagle) into the new car, and realized, there's not a hall of a lot that can be fixed or rigged on the side of the road these days. She's got a good head on her shoulders, and basic mechanical knowledge, good deduction skills, when she's not too spazzed-out to use them. Hey--she's got an artistic temperment; spends a little too much time in her own little world...

Here's what I came up with, other than jack/lug wrench/spare tire (and knowledge of how to use them), in no particular order:

4 in 1 screwdriver X 2
small channellocks
small crescent wrench
jumper cables
electrician's tape
duct tape
reflectors/flares (can flares still be had?)
assorted fuses
road service #
local mechanic's # (we're lucky--we found a good one)

Any thoughts or additions/subtractions? I'm considering one of those "roadside assistance" kits from WallyWorld/Harbor Freight, only with real tools replacing the cheapies.

I thought I had seen a thread like this last year here on the forum, but was unable to find it through searching.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tools

You have covered about almost everything. What happends if the atl. goes out ? You have about 2o miles before the battery goes dead and shuts down the fuel pump. She might
have a cell phone.( you don't say ). If she does she will
not be phoning you. She will phone her boy friend. Get real. I'm sure you are a normal parent. that is what parents do. Let her figuer it out for herself. Unless it
is a life threatening situation your girl will do nothing
but phone her boy friend and hope you don't find out.
Let her go, she will be fine. I have all that and more in my trunk ( tools incase something happends ). never used it
but the extra weight does a job on the gas mileage. Be cool
She will be fine. she can still call you.

o

I keep something similar in our familly car. When going on a trip, I also add one of those jumper batteries with an air compressor built in too. Got it at costco for something like $65.

o

a cell phone and a membership in the auto club.

o

I have emergency kits I bought at Costco for $40 in each car also.
1 8GA 10' booster cable
1 Flat head screwdriver
1 Phillips head screwdriver
1 Pair Pliers with vinyl grip
1 Utility knife
1 Poncho
1 Air compressor 250 PSI
1 AAA member brochure
1 AAA Driving Survival Book
1 Flashlight 2 AA
1 Bungee cord 24"
2 Shop towels
1 PVC tape 3/4" x 30'
10 Cable ties
1 Flashlight Hand-charged 2 LED
1 Reflective triangle11.5"
1 pair gloves with dimples for better gripping
1 AAA Emergency car care guide
45-piece first aid kit
Fully padded carry bag with reflective strip on back
Dimensions: 13.5" x 10" x 6"
Weight: 8.6 lbs.

Comes in a little case that's about the size of a purse. Pretty handy. Maybe add a jug of water and granola bar or two (winter breakdown?). *

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here