Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ford Triton V8 - V10 Engine Problem

Posted by bucky (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 23, 11 at 20:52

Hey Fellas: I was checking out a nice little class C motorhome last week. An 03 with only 9500 miles on her. Looks like she just came off the assembly line. Sits on a good old Ford chassis with the Triton V10 engine. I was going to buy the rig but while doing my "due diligence" before going ahead with the deal I ran across some information about these engines that got my attention real quick. Apparently up to 04 they had a habit of blowing spark plugs out of the head, apparently due to an overly small thread pattern (four threads) in the aluminum heads. Expensive to repair and Ford has refused to cover the repair cost after the warrantys up even though its likely a design problem, if this in fact is an issue with the Triton. Does anyone on the list have any knowledge or experience with these engines and/or this particular problem? I'd appreciate some feed-back and advise cause I'd sure like to pick up this rig if its not a big issue. Thanks and Cheers: Bucky2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ford Triton V8 - V10 Engine Problem

I found this on E-HOW.
=============================
Tips & Warnings

If one of the spark plug sockets is empty, then your spark plug was forced from your engine during the blow out. In this case, replacing the spark plug and wire is mandatory.
=========================

Really ?? !! I wondered about that but this removes all doubt.

o

Thank you for providing this information. Now I'll be able to purchase a Ford Triton V10 with much more confidence as "all doubt" has now been removed. lol

o

Did your investigations turn up this site? Evidently they make their living fixing Ford plug blowouts. Nationwide. Without a doubt that might be a clue. :-)

blownoutsparkplug.com

o

Thanks for the link you provided. I didn't find this site during my info hunt. I think I'll pass on the Ford Triton powered units as Ford clearly has a serious design problem with this engine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here