SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gellchom

time for a new Prius ... or .... ?

gellchom
16 years ago

We love our Prius -- a 2003, which was the second year they were available, I think. My husband drives that car.

But now it's time for ME to have a new car and pass the faithful Volvo on to the kidz. (A Prius and a Volvo: guess our politics! ;-) )

My first thought was just to get another Prius. I like the new ones with the hatchbacks and some other nifty features even better than ours, and I believe they get even better milage -- is that right?

But my husband reminded me that there are several other hybrids out there now (there were only the Prius and the 2 Hondas back then). Plus I was wondering how soon all-electric will be available; does anyone know? And I bet you all know about other fuel-efficient options.

Note: We do NOT need or want an SUV. In a few weeks we will be empty nesters, and we rarely tote huge loads. We live in Columbus, which is FLAT and although we get snow, it's not a snow-belt city. We never go off road. No long commutes to consider. It has been kind of nice having the larger Volvo for those few occasions when we need a lot of space, especially for storage, but that's not very often; we can always swap with a friend as we've done before or rent a car or van once every year or two.

Also: I know that there are many who will point out that the dollar savings aren't worth it. So I want to stress that although saving money is of course great -- esp. with gas now over $3.50 -- that is NOT the only reason we like a hybrid. We are concerned about the environmental costs, as well as the political costs, of reliance on oil. So please, please, don't turn this string into a long back-and-forth argument about the bottom-line dollar comparison of hybrids to lower-cost cars!

(And, yes, we are also going to try to walk, bike, and take the bus more, too.)

Thanks in advance for your recommendations, information, suggestions, and advice.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor