Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mobil 1 Oil

Posted by worm (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 30, 05 at 19:26

Looks like Mobil 1 is changing yet again. They used to have "Tri-synthetic". Then they changed to "Supersyn". Now they are offering "Extended Service" Mobil 1. They say it's guaranteed 15,000 miles. I don't know that I would ever want to run ANY kind of oil 15,000 miles, but does anybody have any idea what they are doing? They still have the standard "Supersyn" oil, but they no longer offer the 15W50 in that variety. They DO offer 15W50 in the "Extended Service" variety though. It appears to be about a buck more than the standard Mobil 1. They offer the lighter grades in both "Supersyn" and "Extended Service" variety.

Anybody know what's going on here? Why would they now have two varieties of Mobil 1? If the standard variety isn't good enough, they ought to just replace it totally with the new variety.

I've had good luck with the 15W50 in my Harley.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mobil 1 Oil

I think the standard variety of Mobil 1 is between their Mobil Clean 7500 (a synthetic blend good for 7500 miles) and their Mobil 1 Extended Performance (good for 15000 miles).

Maybe the standard variety of Mobil 1 is good for 11,250 miles? It's got to be somewhere close to that.

o

I guess I'm more interested in why they are doing this? In the past when they game up with a new variety of Mobil 1, they did away with the old variety. They've only had one variety of Mobil 1. Plus, I'm wondering what the difference in formulations is for the two varieties of Mobil 1. There's still limits on phosphorus, etc. that have to be met. Seems that Mobil 1 has always been their BEST oil, now they have one that's BEST and one that's not BEST. Doesn't seem to fit the marketing.

o

An old marketing ploy, give the customer what you think he wants/needs..
GM is the past-master of this - a tweak here and twinge there.
But this is much easier with a liquid..
And Mobil will continue to sell the "low cost" ha !! standard Mobil One until they either run out of it or too few buy it..

BTW, I doubt if anyone here buys that 7,500 and 15,000 oil change interval absurdity ..
I'll bet Joe SixPac does and Gus Wilson, Smokey Yunick, Roger Penske, and Bobby Rahal will never run out of work..

o

The "Extended Service" is a buck more than standard Mobil 1. About $5.50 vs. $4.50. They probably figure if you're willing to spend that much for oil, another buck is small potatoes. I do think that synthetic is good for an air-cooled motorcycle where oil temps are high, but for a car, I still use Valvoline 5W30 at about $1.50 and I got 210,000 miles on my car. I used to change every 3000, but now I go 6000.

o

"There's still limits on phosphorus, etc. that have to be met."

Only for GF-4. I haven't checked, but I'm told that Mobil 1 Extended Performance does NOT meet GF-4 specs.

There is a bit of concern about GF-4 and whether the reduced levels of antiwear additives such as ZDDP that GF-4 mandates will result in engine wear for older engines with flat-tappet cams.

If you want lots of anti-wear additives, you don't need to buy Mobil 1 Extended Performance however..just get any dual-rated diesel/gasoline engine oil such as Shell Rotella.

o

I'm with the worms. They can keep the $5 per quart oil regardless. I'll stick with the good old valvoline @ $1.50 and change it somewhere between 3k - 5k miles, but closer to 3k. Tried the synthetic once and exended the interval to justify the cost. Drove me nuts worrying about it so I reverted back to what I've done for the last 30 years.

o

Wal-Mart's Supertech, for 98 cents/quart, works as well as Valvoline.

o

Interesting comment about the GF-4. Here's what the web site says:

Does the Mobil 1 Extended Performance meet GF-4 specifications? How did the new specification impact the development of the high-endurance product line?
Mobil 1 Extended Performance contains extra performance additives to deliver exceptional performance and protection. This fully synthetic technology is designed specifically for longer service intervals. While it does not meet all the requirements for GF-4, it provides protection of the critical engine parts well beyond conventional engine oils including conventional GF-4 engine oils, and meets all the engine durability and protection requirements for GF-4. Additionally, Mobil 1 Extended Performance oils exceed the requirements of API SL/CF and various ACEA (European) specifications.

I thought automotive oil below 10W40 had to meet that. Evidently they've found a way around it. Did Mobil 1 15W50 EVER meet GF-4. I had heard in the past that it wasn't subject to the Zinc and Phosphorus limits because it was above the viscocity grade where it was required. Now I wondering if there's any difference in the old and the new Mobil 1 15W50 or if they just renamed it "extended performance" with this new marketing ploy and added a buck to the price.

o

The Mobile 1 oil could be exactly the same in each package, just charging more to cover any possible warranty costs. They have not specified any actual difference.

BTW, I prefer the full synthetics because in my experience they are less viscous for starting in very cold weather. At 0 or -10 F in MA, our cars are easier to start.

BTW, I doubt if anyone here buys that 7,500 and 15,000 oil change interval absurdity
Our Chrysler user manual specifies oil changes should be done at no more than 7,500 mile intervals. Hey, I'm just reporting - I think that is pushing it.

o

**Our Chrysler user manual specifies oil changes should be done at no more than 7,500 mile intervals. Hey, I'm just reporting - I think that is pushing it.**

Schedule 'a' or 'b'? That sounds right for what most manufacturers recommend for what they call normal use. Usually they have another maintainence schedule for severe use that's half that long. If you read what constitutes normal and severe use, most people fall into the severe use catagory.

o

The original Mobil I is now sold at a discount at Walmart, seems to be a great buy, and a smart business decision by Mobil as they now have many looking at the extended drain oil.
I can just see the $dollar$ signs flashing wildly when sheeple look to save money..
And with all the reports of sludge/low oil pressure due to excessive heat and long drain intervals..The oil buyer is walking a tight-rope..
I'll stick with Mobil I "economy synthetic" and drain every 6 months(3 to 6K miles)...
Our vehicles are somewhere between severe and easy service..

o

They don't publish phosphorus levels so it's hard to figure this out. But, the new "extended service" oil seems to be associated with the new SM ILSAC GF-4 classifications (starburst and economy ratings) for cars. The "regular" Mobil 1 carries those, while the "extended service" does not. One thing that happened is phosphorus levels were reduced from 0.1% max to 0.08% max. Phosphorus is one of the main anti-wear additives. So, my guess is that the "extended service" is probably closer to the old Mobil 1 and the "regular" Mobil 1 may not be as good. Who knows. Since 15-50 never had the starburst in the first place, it's probably unchanged. Doesn't matter for my Harley, since I would need the higher viscocity anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here