Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anti Freeze ??????

Posted by ruthann (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 29, 11 at 19:08

I have an '02 Buick LeSabre that takes 'Dexron' coolant. I'm not sure of the name, but it is orange. I plan on keeping the car so I want it done right. Do I really need to buy that kind of coolant, or can I buy regular anti freeze? I have heard of both ways. Right now it only has water in it so I thought I would see what someone else says. I live in Michigan if that matters. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anti Freeze ??????

The anti-freeze you refer to is DEX COOL. You should not mix it with any other type of anti-freeze. If you replace it, stay with Dex Cool unless you have a complete cooling system flush completed.

o
RE: Anti Freeze ??????

If you flush out the system, you can use other brands, although Dex Cool is good. I do recommend that you drain out the plain water and refill with a 50-50 mix of anti-freeze and water. Also, before refilling, put in a can of waterpump lubricant/anti-corrosion.

[Watch for this: Antifreeze is available in both premix and 100% antifreeze. If you have premix, do not dilute. It is already diluted with water. Sometimes, it is the premix that is on sale. You live in Michigan, therefore go for the lowest temperature protection. For ethylene glycol, that'll be about -35 F at a 50-50 mix. The mix versus freezing point should be printed on the container.]

Premix the antifreeze and water before filling. And then refill using the mix - Its much easier this way than trying to mix to desired ratio in the coolant system.

I recommend a non-sillcate anti-freeze. Its a little more expensive than the regular stuff, but your water pump seals will last much longer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here