Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nissan 3.5 liter octane needed

Posted by dave_mn (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 9, 06 at 18:59

I have a new Altima (03)with the 3.5. The gas filler door says use premium fuel. The manual is very confusing on what octane to use....87 or 92 What do you guys use with this engine?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nissan 3.5 liter octane needed

So, what does your manual say? I don't have a Nissan Altima, but I understand it gets a lot of horsepower out of that 3.5 L.

Is there any mention of altitude? Above 5000 ft, the octane requirement reduces.

o
RE: Nissan 3.5 liter octane needed

If Nissan put a sticker inside the fuel door stating you should use premium, then that is what you should do. The owners manuals are a little generic, and will have specs for all of the different engines, and accessory set-ups.

The premium fuel actually burns slower than 87, so it allows for an earlier spark and a higher compression ratio, which result in more torque. While 87 won't ping, at least not much, that's because the knock sensor would detect pinging long before you hear it and retard the ignition timing in order to reduce/prevent it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here