Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
car died today

Posted by beth1954 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 23, 08 at 18:50

I have been having trouble for a few days with my car "bogging down" on the interstate. Not just a little bogging down--not that often, but when it does it, it's pretty noticeable. Today I was on my way home and it started bogging down and finally was just like it didn't want to go anywhere, slowing down, etc. So I pulled over for a minute. Pretty soon one of the guys I work with came by and he followed me over to my mechanic's place. The car seemed to do "OK" at a slow pace, but if I stepped on the gas a little harder, it would bog again, only not as bad as on the interstate. What do you think? fuel injectors? Fuel pump???? My car is a 1984 Honda w/198,000 mile on it, and no, I can't get another car! Thanks, Beth

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: car died today

198,000 miles... Hmmm... have you checked the fuel filter? It may be full of water.

o
RE: car died today

A lot of the early 1st and 2nd gen Hondas had problems with the carburetors. I've got a 1981 Honda Civic station wagon that was having similar symptoms (Bogging down when I gave it gas, etc.) I was told the carb was probably shot and to replace it with a Webber (apparently they have a carb kit available for these old Hondas)so I had the Webber carb installed and the difference was night and day. Has more pep, is a lot more responsive, doesnt cough or sputter in the mornings, etc. My Civic has just under 80k miles on it is is a garage queen for the most part (It's in mint show -condition) so if you've got 198k on the original carb, that might be a likely culprit.

Could be transmission related as well...?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here