Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
97 s-10 problem

Posted by flickerstick29 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 16, 09 at 18:21

I just got my 97 s-10 truck up and running after having it sit for about 7 months it was running fine before i let it sit but wouldnt start after the 7 months i took it to a friend who replaced the wires coil and spark plugs and it starts now but its kind of reluctant to turn over most of the time and idols kind of rough. The check engine light is also on now and AutoZone diagnosed the light as a cylinder one misfire which they say has to do with the coils and wire which were just replaced or a fuel pump.

My question is what kind of information can you guys give me on what could be causing the rough start and hard idling?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 97 s-10 problem

1. Sticking valve or stuck valve lifter.

2. Clogged or leaking injector.

3. Water in the fuel, or fuel devoid of light volitiles.

4. Fouled plug due to hard starting, or the new plug may not be good or damaged. A new plug wire could be bad.

I'm assuming that all the plug wires are on the correct plugs.

o

The problem that you have with your truck is your patronizing every method of attempting to fix it, except for taking it to a pro that actually knows how it works and how to repair it.

Autozone does NOT do diagnostics. They pull codes for you and then do no more than allow you to guess what parts to throw at it. (JMHO)

Your friend may have the greatest of intentions by attempting to help you out. But at this point the most he has succeeded in doing by replacing all of the easy parts is he took away the potential revenues that should have been earned by a real technician that has made the investment up front to be ready to efficiently solve your trucks performance and starting issues.

One thing that CANNOT be wrong is that only one plug wire could be installed incorrectly. VBG..Beyond that, the door is wide open for any possible issue because there has been no legitimate testing performed. Come back with fuel pressure specs, secondary ignition voltages, ignition timing settings, and fuel trim data during normal operation, AND during a no start event and someone would then at least have a chance to attempt an accurate guess. Otherwise, you need a pro to solve this problem.

o

"Come back with fuel pressure specs, secondary ignition voltages, ignition timing settings, and fuel trim data during normal operation, AND during a no start event and someone would then at least have a chance to attempt an accurate guess. Otherwise, you need a pro to solve this problem."
If i knew how to get any of these values id have no problem fixing the the truck myself. I was just looking for a little insight into where to start my search.

o

Gotta love this line "If i knew how to get any of these values id have no problem fixing the the truck myself. I was just looking for a little insight into where to start my search."

If you went and got this information, you in all likelihood WOULD NOT need anyone else to guess for you and risk wasting more of your money if they get it wrong.

In the shop this is information that a tech has to get in order to even begin to analyze the problem you described. With these details in hand, the tech could then focus on the system that is the source of the trouble. An example would be if the fuel pressure is below specifications, then from there the tech could measure the power and ground circuits for voltage drops, and then measure the current flowing through and the speed of the pump in its circuit in order to determine if the problem is in the pump or the wiring harness, or possibly even if there is an issue both. With fundamental testing routines, this can easily be determined. (FWIW this example is only one of the group of reasons for low fuel pressure, there easily could be other reasons)

You allowed people to guess and throw parts, this has cost you money that you may, or may not have needed to spend. At this point we will never know for sure. You asked for help in diagnosing the problem, you really did get exactly what you asked for. There are no silver bullets when it comes to figuring out why a car does not operate the way its expected to. It takes tools, training, and years of experience to do this (at times) very difficult work. If its beyond your training, and of course its also likely beyond your friends, and definitely beyond Auto Zones, then you are faced with making a decision to either use a real technician and his/her skills to fix this, or else give up on it.

Essentially you asked what it takes to diagnose this problem, I gave you the CORRECT answer. Use that information to help locate a good shop and a trained technician and they will make this problem go away for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here