SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonebloodyidle

Fitting CD player to Daewoo Lanos

bonebloodyidle
14 years ago

Hi Folks,

I am trying to install a CD player in the wife's Daewoo Lanos. There was no radio of any description in there when we got the car, just the wires hanging out of the hole in the dash. I have the book that came with the CD player so that's no problem, I know what wire does what there. But on the car itself? Well that is another matter. Spent a couple of hours with a 1.5v battery trying wires at random, and only managed to locate the wires for the back speakers that way. Tried to find the live with a light bulb and known good earth but failed. Took it to an auto electrician and he was useless. He may as well have had a sign outside saying 'Butcher' or 'Florist'. He was certainly no good with cars. Thought he would at least have a multimeter or some other sort of gear to find circuits. So do any of you have any reference material that would list what wire does what? If all else fails I'll just tuck away the existing loom and put in my own but I'd like to give this just one last shot before throwing in the towel.

Comments (5)

• sdello
    13 years ago

Does the existing wiring harness terminate in a connector? or just loose wires?

If it's a connector you might try going to (or calling) Cructhfield and purchasing a mating connector to attach to the deck so the whole thing just plugs in. Crutchfiled caters to the do-it-yourselfer and I've found them quite helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crutchfield

• bonebloodyidle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the link. There was no connector on the car's loom. I have since been able to get the unit sort of wired up by using a 9-volt battery and a light bulb to find out, rather hit and miss, what each wire did. The front speakers aren't working but I think that is because the wires have frayed where they bend where the doors open. I need to work out how to remove the door trims to rewire those.

If ever I need a queer connector that I can't source locally i will try that link you suggested and get them to mail it to Ireland for me.

• sdello
    13 years ago

just curious, did you try the "outfit my car" utility on the link under car audio? Crutchfield maintains a data base of vehicle specific instructions showing how to remove trim, etc to get to replace stock stereo components. You can buy the instructions but if you buy speakers or some other component from the they throw in a lot of the instructional stuff for free and their technicians are available for free advice/questions.

Not sure how they handle international sales though.
    No I don't work for them but I recently replaced systems in my 99 Buick and my son's 97 Chevy Lumina and they made the job much easier.

Good luck

• bonebloodyidle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Not yet but I have next week off work and this is amongst the list of odd jobs to blitz, along with landscaping the garden, worming the cat and changing the timing belt on my own car (the Daewoo is the better half's car). A husband's work is never done.

Thanks for your advice. Really appreciated.

• noelmarchestra
    12 years ago

Daewoo fanatics out there! it's been so long since things thread has been posted though i still give time to shell out some knowledge with you as well as with other folks in the future. This might help. So, i've done the fitting on my Lanos 97. In your caser i highly recommend to look for a fitting kit. You should be using an iso connector on the back, Unless wiring has been hacked to fit. You should remove black trim from around stereo If I remember rightly its a sorta H shape. Then unscrew stereo cage from dash pull out remove screws for cage that hold stereo into it. Wiring is the next thing. However, before mounting it set a station store it. Remove keys from ignition leave for 30 seconds or so put keys back in if its still there your CD player would be working fine. That's all and good luck.

Related topic: Daewoo recalls

Sponsored