Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
back signals don't work but front do

Posted by jedman22 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 16:12

So I drive a 1993 ford explorer and my back signals don't work at all and my front signals do but they just stay on instead of ticking and I checked fuses and changed bulbs and they still don't work any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: back signals don't work but front do

Do the brake lights work? Do the back lamps work when the headlamps are turned on?

If none of these work, then suspect a loss of a ground connection.

If only the signal lamps are affected, the search is narrowed. Without the additional load of the rear signal lamps, the thermally operated blinker relay won't work, or works erratically. Both rear signal lamps are inoperative. My first guess: You have lost continuity in the rear signal lamp circuits. Since both are affected, look for a connection that is common to both. I suspect it is a ground connection. If this is not the problem, you need to broaden the search.

The right and left signal lamps are fed by 2 separate circuits. I'd be surprised if both of these were out at the same time except in cases of wire cutting, etc.

If a simple item is not the cause, then you will need a circuit diagram to sort things out.

You did not mention anything about the condition of the signal lamp assembly. If it is corroded out, it may need replacing. Are both lamp sockets in good condition?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here