o
uppholstering from car roof

Posted by frankb_c (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 10, 06 at 15:39

The Upfolstering on the inside of the car is peeling away,
The cloth has dropped.
Like on our heads?
from Heat on driveway.
Is there something we could use to re-glue this without changing the whole inside?
Car is 11 years old.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: uppholstering from car roof

I never had good luck re-glueing upholstery. On one car, I just removed it. Then I drop-clothed the interior, and rolled on a color-matched paint, with texture like the interior of a house. The car was louder without the roof padding, but it worked.

On the other car, I paid $200 for an upholstery shop to install a completely new roof liner.

11 years old says it's a 1994-1995. Might just be a poor adhesive selection from the manufacturer. On both my cars, I found that many other owners of the same car had the same problem at the same age. One of mine was a '77 Toyota, and it was only 8 years old, the other one was an '82 Volkswagen and it was 20 years old.

o
RE: uppholstering from car roof

Tried gluing a Navaho pattern material on my Comanche (Ha!) It was tapestry type heavy material.

Tried the spray glue and that didn't work, couldn't take the heat, then I mixed up a batch of fiberglass resin, that worked but I was there for half an hour pushing up sagging cloth as it dried. Truck stank for a week.

Andy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here